Thread: XP mode install

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I downloaded and installed the xp mode software from Microsoft but after the "install", xp mode didn't start up to be configured. I have an xp mode directory in my program files folder and it contains a key.txt, vxpula.txt, windows xp mode base.vhd, and a folder with tutorials. Nothing there to start the program.

My AMD64 has it's virtualization turned on in the bios. XP mode worked when I installed it last year , but, thinking I would never have a use for it, I uninstalled it. Now that I have a use for it, it seems to have not installed properly or there's something stopping it from continuing to install. I uninstalled it, downloaded again and reinstalled a couple of times but to no avail. Anyone have a clue what the problem is?
    I'm running Win7 64 bit Professional.

Thanks,

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you download and install Windows Virtual PC also?

Double check and make sure downloaded the correct 64-bit version for your OS.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joe,

Yes. When I run the install for Virtual PC I get a dialog box that says "Update for Windows (KB958559) is already installed on this computer. It was the correct version for my computer. Windows Professional 64 bit English.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In your start menu, there should be an entry in the "Windows Virtual PC" folder to start XP mode.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, nope. No such animal in my start menu. Windows xp mode is listed in the add/remove programs but no where is "Virtual PC" listed anywhere. I'm at a loss to figure this out. I'm not a novice user.
    This one problem has stumped me, though Thanks for replying, Joe. I'm sure it will turn out to be something simple I'm not seeing atm.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved!

Ok, since I had previously installed XP Mode on this computer last Dec. and then uninstalled it the Virtual PC update still existed. I wanted to reinstall XP Mode but when trying to reinstall Virtual PC, I was informed I already had that update and wasn't able to setup my XP mode.
    I had to go to "Control Panel/Programs and Features/View Installed Updates" and uninstalled Virtual PC (KB958559). After reboot, I reinstalled Virtual PC. After another reboot, Windows Virtual PC showed up in my start menu and I setup my XP Mode. Voila =]

Thanks Joe for your time.

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you go ti working. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe