4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On both my Win 7 netbook and desktop, I note that WinMail.exe is running and using resources but doesn't seem to do anything. I use WLM as my mail client and I thought hat Windows Mail was something that came with Windows XP (or Windows 98)?

If I kill the process, it doesn't seem to impact on anything, but it starts next time I reboot. Does it do anything? Can I kill it off permanently?

Thanks
    Does it reinitialize itself when you open your WLM client?
    Do an os search for "WinMail.exe" and note it's location(s).
    Have you had the "Windows Mail" client installed prior to WLM?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Terry, Winmail.exe is the Windows Mail that shipped with Vista. Now I also have Windows 7 HP on the Toshiba I am typing on right now, and when I made all hidden and operating system files visible, I found a Windows Mail folder containing Winmail.exe in both the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. My Windows 7 HP 64 bit was already preinstalled on my Toshiba when I purchased it.

I do not know why MS put these here, but they are hidden and protected OS files. You might check your MSConfig to see if Winmail.exe is listed in your startup programs. Also it would be a good idea to download and use Autoruns to reveal all programs and processes that are running on your computer at startup. If you find Winmail.exe with either of these programs, you can prevent it from loading at startup.

In Autoruns, check the Logon, Services and Scheduled Tasks tabs first, and then check the Everything tab if the other three do not help.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    It's on mine too, and I use WLM.
    JVPowertools 2009 shows it located in the folders Gerald mentioned.
    Task manager shows it as a running process.
    RegEdit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    &
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\ Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

I don't think it has anything to do with the WLM client. I've heard reports of this being included in early releases of Windows 7, a carry-over from Vista???
    Furthermore, the WLM client has it's own exe (wlmail.exe) in the "Windows Live" folder @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail.

WinMail.exe+windows 7

I think this is a carry over from Vista who's code MS forgot to remove. But if someone else here with a Windows 7
    installation without ever having WLM or Windows Mail, would confirm or refute this, please come forward.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But if someone else here with a Windows 7
    installation without ever having WLM or Windows Mail, would confirm or refute this, please come forward.
    I have never used any form of Windows mail from W95 until now. I checked and although I have Windows Mail folders and the WinMail.exe shown in Explorer, there's nothing that's associated with it running in Task manager at all. Neither does anything show up in Services. It must be something that only Windows Mail invokes for whatever reason. I've used various versions of Netscape/Mozilla email clients since the Dark Ages.......
    Running Win 7 64 Pro

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    But if someone else here with a Windows 7 installation without ever having WLM or Windows Mail, would confirm or refute this, please come forward.
    Like Tom above, I also have the Windows mail folder and the program mentioned, although there is no indication of it running anywhere.

My Windows 7 x64 HP installation is less than 48 hours old and all that has been installed is Office 2010, MSE & Firefox.

Thanks
    I too use WinLiveMail in my Win 7 Ultimate system, but in checking my running process and services in Task Manager I do not see Winmail.exe running (Unless I'm blind this am and missed it). I'm not sure why Clint or Gerald have it listed as running in their systems. I did have Vista on this PC and Custom Installed (clean installed) Win 7 over Vista several months ago (as soon as Win 7 RTM was made available) I originally had Vista, then set up a dual boot with Win 7 RC, then got rid of both the RC and Vista and loaded Win 7 RTM, and now dual boot Linux Mint.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Good morning Ted!

Just to clarify, Winmail.exe is present on my Toshiba in both Program File folders, but it is hidden and has never been running as a process or service. It is just sitting there for some unknown reason. A mystery is afoot!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Good morning Ted!

Just to clarify, Winmail.exe is present on my Toshiba in both Program File folders, but it is hidden and has never been running as a process or service. It is just sitting there for some unknown reason. A mystery is afoot!
    Good morning to you as well. Sorry, I thought you mentioned it was there and running. I also have the folder for winmail, probably just a left over that was missed in the haste to get Win 7 to RTM (I would not be surprised if this solves the mystery ). I do not believe Win Mail can be used in Win 7, but then again I have never tried it since I'm happy with Win Live Mail. I have mine set up to check 2 Road Runner accounts and my Hotmail account each time I open it. very convienient.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy