Thread: Defragmenter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My computer is set to defragment every Wednesday in the middle of the night. However, my computer is in hibernation mode at that time. Does that mean that my computer has not been defragmenting?

Regards,

JMT

Thanks
    Probably not. There are very good 3rd party defragmenters that run quickly so do not have to be run at night. Try Auslogics Disk defragmenter. This works very well, very quickly and is a very able substitute for the Windows Defragmenter. My last defragment took less than 5 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to run at a certain time and misses that time, it will run at the earliest opportunity when it awakens from hibernation, or is booted up.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Some folks don't believe in doing a whole lot of defragmenting, looks like Paul is one of them.
    For me, I just do it manually on any other drive other than the primary boot drive whenever something large is added or retracted.
    Defragmenting, for some unknown reason also helps with the OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Try setting it up to run when you know your computer will be on, the resources for doing so will be minimal and if your drives are
    well defragmented, the routine will be over quickly.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I am not a fan of defragmenting. Most of the time all you achieve is wearing out your hard disk quicker. Add more RAM and defrag once a year as part of general housekeeping.

cheers, Paul