Thread: Shrink screens?

Lounger
    Thanks
    If i use autosizer to show more programs on the screen, sometimes I have to scroll to get to the side and sometimes can't even get there. For instance, Remote Destop has it's little "X" towards the right of center, and Ican't find a way to scroll to it if I reduce the screen to a reasonable 900 from 1440 (22" screen).

Is there something that will shrink everything to the size I want? (maybe not as easily as on my mac, but something that will get the whole 1440 shrunk down to 900 or so?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On your monitor do you have any ajustment buttons?
    It sounds like your display area is wider that the screen it self.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That is not the problem. The problem is the main program we need to run is written with a fixed width to the entire screen, no matter what size monitor you have. Put it on a 12" monitor, it fills 12", put it on a 22" monitor, it fills 22". If I use auto-sizer to reduce the screen, it only shows part of the program. I need something to shrink it and fool the program into running in less than full 22" monitor so that other things can be seen instead of minimizing and tabing all day.

When I run it in my mac, I can give it whatever size I want (within limits) and it runs happily. How can I do this in Windows?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What program is this?

If there is a web site about this program a link would be helpful?

Also, is this program built to run on a PC?

Lounger
    Thanks
    The main problem is our sales/inventory/accounting program that runs on server 2008. it is written locally by a "Microsoft certified partner" (whatever that means). Everyone connects through the remote desktop (or whatever the actual name is in their version of windows). Maybe the trick is to get remote desktop to open in a reasonable window.

If I open it on an 11" monitor, it covers the screen, same with a 22" monitor and anything in between. no scrolling needed, you spend the day minimizing and opening windows and jotting down information on paper that you could type if it was on the screen at the same time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Then this is a problem with the program and NOT Windows.
    You need to contact your support for this program and ask them.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't say it was a Windows problem. I'm looking for a workaround.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The work around that I see is contact your support of this product and see what they have to say.

Since it works on a Mac, then there appears to be different versions of this program and they are written differently.
    What works on a Mac does not mean that it will work the same on Windows machine.

By the way, when using the Mac, are you running Windows on it to access this program?

If so, is this Windows running within the Mac OS or do you "Boot" it and not use any of the Mac OS?

Lounger
    Thanks
    For this I don't need to run windows. There is actually very little that I need to run Windows for, and I do it with Parallels.

Anyway, I figured out I was complicating things. In the windows version I found and "options" on the login where I can set the screen size to run the remote desktop in. Since I do 95% of my stuff on the Mac, I hadn't noticed the windows login screen had that option.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good news, it just pays to be aware of how to use a program from the start, just may prevent problems later.

Lounger
    Thanks
    And it shows that you should never trust the people who say it can't be done, or there is no reason to. That is what they said when they installed the $5,000 worth of hardware and software. Of course they also told me I would not be able to run it with my mac (which I had disproved in the 1st 30 min of the first training session).