3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm stumped, and a little frustrated. I have gigabit cards in each of my computers (except the laptop which isn't connected most of the time). I have gigabit switches (DGS 2205) for the LAN and a gigabit router (Cisco RVS4000). It's a totally wired network (not wireless). When I first installed, the computer to computer speeds were around 500meg. Lately it tops out at 69 meg. Anyone else run into this experience?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On each machine go into network and sharing center and click on local area connection, under connection do they all show connected at 1.0 gbps?

The above directions are for Windows 7, if you have windows xp machines go to network connections and click on the correct local area connection to check the properties.

If your switches are managed you could also go into their management software and check that all their ports are at gig speeds.

It sounds like one of the connections has downgraded to 100mb. If so, I would test cables as 1gb likes perfect connections.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maximum theoretical speed for a 1Gbit LAN is about 100Mbytes / second, but you are unlikely to get more than 80MB. Make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    On each machine go into network and sharing center and click on local area connection, under connection do they all show connected at 1.0 gbps?

The above directions are for Windows 7, if you have windows xp machines go to network connections and click on the correct local area connection to check the properties.

If your switches are managed you could also go into their management software and check that all their ports are at gig speeds.

It sounds like one of the connections has downgraded to 100mb. If so, I would test cables as 1gb likes perfect connections.
    I should have said my computers are a mixture.
    1 - Win2000(SE)
    2 - XP
    1 - 98 (Have to keep it running for certain software installed)

The 2000 and XP machines all show the LAN as gigabit. Interestingly they are showing the gateway (router presumably) as 100meg although it's lights show connections to the router are all 1000meg. The switches are also showing 1000meg.

I forced a driver upgrade on the one XP and that improved its LAN transfer speeds somewhat.

Win98 doesn't seem to have a status window for the network like the others.

Probably I need to get higher grade network cables to handle the higher speeds. I'll keep testing and experimenting.

Thanks for your help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ho-hum. Although the switches don't appear to indicate it, the indicator light on the network card for the Win98 machine says it has dropped to 100. So I guess that's where my problem is. Cable looks like an older standard cable, so I guess that is where my next step will be to change.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Old LAN cables will work happily at Gbit as long as they are less than 10 metres. You only need CAT5e cables if you want the 100m maximum length.
    Try swapping the cables around and check the speeds.

BTW, you could virtualize the Win98 machine using MS Virtual PC.

cheers, Paul