Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get a message to install Adobe Reader Update. When I download it and click Run, I get the message, "Cannot install the update. Please run Adobe Reader Repair.
    Error: 1500".

When I try to run Adobe Reader Repair I get, "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I get the same error message when I try to runl Java Setup. In addition it displays: Error 1719

I've tried a number of web suggestions without success.They include:

http://www.technize.com/solution-the...or-in-windows/

http://www.pcauthorities.com/pc-erro...-in-windows-xp

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/vi...t-be-accessed/

http://www.google.com/search?q=Win+7...rlz=1I7GGLL_en

I have run, "Restore Windows Installer Service" and get the message, "The keys and values contained in
    L:\Users\Donald\Desktop\Restore_Windows_Inataller_ Service.reg have been successfully added to the registry."

I'm still getting the error messages when trying to install the Adobe Reader Update.

I would be grateful for any help with this issue.

Thanks.

daj3245

Thanks
    First of all,Uninstall Adobe reader with this FREE program;Revo UninstallerThen install this replacement program with Adobe Reader here;Foxit Software Just a suggestion....After you Uninstall Adobe Reader reboot your system,then defrag your hard drive.Then install,Foxit Reader.IMHO,Adobe Reader is a useless,pain in the rear program!Way to many flaws.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D. A. Johnson View Post
    I get a message to install Adobe Reader Update. When I download it and click Run, I get the message, "Cannot install the update. Please run Adobe Reader Repair.
    Error: 1500".

I'm still getting the error messages when trying to install the Adobe Reader Update.

I would be grateful for any help with this issue.

Thanks.

daj3245
    Hi daj3245, and welcome to the Lounge!

You have already tried some suggestions I was going to offer. I checked the links you provided. Have you attempted to uninstall Adobe yet? I realize you might get an error when attempting to do so, but if you have not tried an uninstall, then I would download Revo Uninstaller that Ron suggested. It does a thorough uninstall, even tracking down all traces of the software. If you can successfully remove Adobe, then you could reinstall it to see if the update will work.

I use Foxit Reader too. And as Ron stated, for similar reasons. However, you may be using Adobe Reader for functionality that Foxit does not have. If you use it to just read PDFs, then I would heartily recommend Foxit.

Did you happen to look at this posting in the Microsoft Answers Windows 7 Forum ? Some of what you have already tried is repeated here, but some are not.

Have you tried a System Restore to return you system to an earlier state? If not, choose a restore that is definitely dated before the Windows Installer issue came up. This might do the trick. If this does not help, then

try running a system file scan from a command prompt. To do so, go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator . In the command prompt window type in the following without the quotation marks:

sfc /scannow (be sure there is a space between the sfc and the / mark)

This will run a system file check and should replace any damaged or corrupt system files. You may or may not be prompted to put your Windows 7 install DVD in the tray. Hopefully this will repair the Windows Installer. If not, go to the last post in the Microsoft Answers link above to check out the registry edit that successfully solved the person's issue. If you decide to do this procedure, be sure to backup your registry before attempting any edit. If this does not help, then a repair install of Windows 7 may be in order. You can find complete instructions on a repair install here .

Hope one of these help.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Ron and Gerald for your suggested solutions.

I, first, tried to uninstall Adobe Reader 9.3 with the following results:

I installed and ran Revo Uninstaller in an attempt to uninstall Adobe Reader 9.3. I selected the default, “Moderate” mode. I then got the, “Adobe Setup” window, selected, “Remove” and got the message, “Error 1719” with the same message, “Windows Installer Service could not be accessed…”. I closed that error message window. The, “Adobe Setup” window reappeared. I clicked, “Finish” there. The, “Uninstall-Adobe Reader 9.3 ” window appeared with, “Performing the initial analysis and uninstall” and three choice buttons, “Back, Next, Cancel”. I clicked, “Next and got the window, “Scanning for leftover items” and then, “Press Next for results. I clicked, “Next” and got, “Found leftover Registry Items” with the message, “Note: Please verify the bolded items! Only checked bolded items and their subitems will be deleted!”. In this same window was, “Found registry items:1461” with three choice buttons: “Select All, Delete All, Delete” and then three more labelled, “Back, Next and Cancel”. How should I proceed?

Thanks again.
    Don
    PS-I have run "sfc /scannow " twice and no damaged or corrupt files were found.
    Also, the, " Revo Uninstaller" installed with no problem. Does it use Windows Installer?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D. A. Johnson View Post
    I installed and ran Revo Uninstaller in an attempt to uninstall Adobe Reader 9.3. I selected the default, “Moderate” mode. I then got the, “Adobe Setup” window, selected, “Remove” and got the message, “Error 1719” with the same message, “Windows Installer Service could not be accessed…”. I closed that error message window. The, “Adobe Setup” window reappeared. I clicked, “Finish” there. The, “Uninstall-Adobe Reader 9.3 ” window appeared with, “Performing the initial analysis and uninstall” and three choice buttons, “Back, Next, Cancel”. I clicked, “Next and got the window, “Scanning for leftover items” and then, “Press Next for results. I clicked, “Next” and got, “Found leftover Registry Items” with the message, “Note: Please verify the bolded items! Only checked bolded items and their subitems will be deleted!”. In this same window was, “Found registry items:1461” with three choice buttons: “Select All, Delete All, Delete” and then three more labelled, “Back, Next and Cancel”. How should I proceed?

Thanks again.
    Don
    PS-I have run "sfc /scannow " twice and no damaged or corrupt files were found.
    Also, the, " Revo Uninstaller" installed with no problem. Does it use Windows Installer?
    Revo Uninstaller is listed in the Programs and Features module in Control Panel. This is where one normally goes to uninstall a program, so Revo must have used the Windows Installer Service. Revo works by first calling the Windows uninstaller to do the initial uninstall, and then proceeds to do further cleanup. That it stopped with an error message is not surprising. There is evidently some corruption in Adobe's key uninstall files that must interact with the Windows Installer service.

Windows Installer service depends on the RPC service (Remote Procedure Call); just to be sure, it would be good to check that both services are running and have been set to Automatic rather than Manual.

Check out this link for Adobe Reader removal. Hopefully you will be able to install adobe reader again, and run the updater successfully. If not, you could give Foxit Reader a try.

If the above does not work, then I would try the other items I previously listed, and also back up your registry in case things get worse before they get better. Be safe. Have you tried a System Restore yet? I would give that a try. It can't hurt, and just might help.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    “Note: Please verify the bolded items! Only checked bolded items and their subitems will be deleted!”. In this same window was, “Found registry items:1461” with three choice buttons: “Select All, Delete All, Delete” and then three more labelled, “Back, Next and Cancel”. How should I proceed?
    Put a CHECK mark by the ones that are in BOLD print only! Scroll back through making sure you have,ONLY checked the one's that are bold print.Then click on just delete.Then click on next,then....Select ALL DELETE.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Gerald and Ron and also, Gerald, for your warm, previous greeting!

I have company coming so it may take me a while to try the options I now have.
    When I do I'll do a reply.

I really appreciate y'all's help.

Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having the same issue with Adobe Acrobat 9 Std. My key error is 1402, I've had an open service ticket with Adobe for a month!!! My error is key 1402. Any thoughts, form anyone? tia John

Thanks
    D.A. I would alo like to welcome you to the Lounge.

I would actually go a couple of steps further. Using Revo, I always use the advanced removal mode and always delete everything found. I have never once had a problem. I would then use CCleaner to look for and clean up orphaned registry items. CCleaner also has an uninstaller, but I have read more about the Revo Uninstaller. CCleaner is best known for cleaning PC's after uninstalls. Between Revo and CCleaner you should be able to successfully remove the remnants of Adobe Reader. CCleaner has the added benefit of cleaning temp files and browsers caches in your system. Most agree that occasional cleaning out these folders and files is a good thing for performance gains.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I am already using CCleaner. Do you feel that there is any difference in the install process between Acrobat and Reader. My issue is with Acrobat, not Reader. I will try Revo. Thanks John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPLee View Post
    Ted, I am already using CCleaner. Do you feel that there is any difference in the install process between Acrobat and Reader. My issue is with Acrobat, not Reader. I will try Revo. Thanks John
    I do not believe their is a difference in the install process. Sorry I did not see Acrobat rather than reader. Revo works very well for uninstalls. Like I mentioned I would use Revo in advanced mode, then CCleaner to ensure all the left overs are gone. Good Luck!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted, for your welcome.

Gerald, I started to try the last post in your 2010-06-05 07:13 message. I did not find an entry ending in, "WOW64" (I'm using 32-bit Win 7) so couln't try it. He was using XP Pro, I believe, and I'm using Win 7 Ultimate. Several Microsoft sites that were indicated as possible solutions indicated that the proposed solution was not applicable to the version of windows I was using.

I also looked at restoring to an earlier time but since this has been a continuing problem for more than 2 months the restore option doesn't appear appealing at this time.

I have since downloaded and tried to install a new program and got the same error message, "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."and couldn't install it.

So, apparently, the problem is not limited to Adobe Reader.

Even though I've downoaded and installed Revo Uninstaller as described in my 2010-06-05 09:28 message, the fact that it indicated there were 1461 registry items found made me nervous about having them deleted so I stopped at that point.

I really want to avoid having to re-install Win 7 Ultimate so am still hoping for a solution to my problem.

Thank y'all, again, for your input.

Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When you get a chance please look at the last post at:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...5-b0ad0d9531fd
    and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I used Revo, then CC, rebooted, the Revo, the CC, rebooted tried to install Acrobat. same issue. any other thoughts out there? thansk

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Download, install and run msicuu2.exe from Microsoft. It is an MSI Installer Cleanup Utility. Clean out anything associated with Acrobat.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe

--Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast