1. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a problem that i've never ever experienced before. I tried Googling the problem with no results that would help. Problem?

All Programs opens when you open the Start Menu. But when i hold my mouse cursor over which ever program folder i want to open, it doesn't. In fact, the Start Menu itself won't close unless i click on an open area elsewhere.

I've looked at settings and nothing changes the behavior. This happened after i downloaded, installed and ran Advanced Windows Care's newest build. I think one of it's fixes borked my Start Menu.

I'm starting to think that i may have to do a repair install for my XP to correct this.

I've included a snapshot of the menu so people will know what i'm talking about.
    [attachment=88917:Clipboard04.jpg]

As you see, i have all my programs sorted inside relevant folders. When i mouse over any of them, nothing happens. In my 10 yrs of computing, i've never seen this before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Mark, and welcome to the Lounge!

If you have not already tried to do so, how about using a System Restore point to roll back prior to the installation of Advanced Windows Care?

Have you uninstalled AWC? If you are sure it is the culprit, I would get rid of it. Try Revo Uninstaller Free . It will uninstall and track down all traces of the software to eliminate any troublesome leftovers.

More than likely, one or more registry keys were altered to cause your menu misbehavior. It does not help you with this problem, but you might consider installing ERUNT ; ERUNT will automatically backup your entire registry to a folder named ERDNT in the C:\Windows folder. It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion when my registry was hosed. Each backup contains within it the executable to restore the registry from the date it was backed up. You can copy several backups to a bootable USB flash drive or a bootable cd as an emergency registry restore.

Here is an MS link for repair of a corrupted XP registry. Although you are not having trouble booting your machine, this could help you repair a corrupted registry. And here is a link for an XP repair install.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

4. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny thing happened. This morning it was working as it's supposed to. I'm dumbfounded about it.

Yeah, i keep a backup of my registry handy at all times. I wasn't going to mess with it quite yet. I'm the type to try to dig around and see if there's a fix for it. I'm a huge fan of Google when it comes to that. Only when i have trouble is when i post in a computer forum. Very rarely does that even happen.

Also, i have Revo and i did get rid of that program. I actually had that program a couple years ago and it was pretty good. When i ran it the other day, i checked out everything that it wanted to repair and nothing looked bad, so i did it. I can't really assume that it was at fault though but since it happened the same day that i ran it, i guess one can.

Thanks for your suggestions. My problem seemed to go away on it's own.... so now i'm even more dumbfounded.

5. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think i spoke too soon. It's working about half the time. There's no rhyme or reason to it. When the menu opens and i place my cursor over All Programs, sometimes they cascade open and other times not. If they're not, i have to click a space out side of the menu itself to get it to close.

So, i'm thinking this is a setting gone bad. Now i'm in the mode to try and figure out what it is that caused it and finding the fix instead of just doing a Repair Install with Windows disc.

Thanks
    Have you tried a different mouse? Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, maybe it is malfunctioning intermittently?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it's functioning fine. Nothing else has been affected.