New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1470 off ebay. It has a valid windows 7 OS installed with the sticker on the bottom, but did not come with any supporting discs. So is there a way to create a OS disc should the need arise to repair or re-install Windows?
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you go to Control Panel>Backup and Restore there will be a Create a System Image item in the left column. With that you can take a snapshot of the system as it is now for possible restoration at a later time. You can also use free software like EaseUS ToDo backup to accomplish the same thing but in either case its important to be familiar with the restore procedure to be prepared for such and eventuality should it come to pass.

I think Windows 7 home premium only allows imaging to non-system disk or to DVDs, while Pro and Ultimate also allow imaging to a network location.

Thanks
    Hi Dave, and welcome to the Lounge!

Creating the image backup is a critical necessity, so please do not put it off. After you create a system image with Windows Backup, you can check out some other system imaging options. One is a program called Macrium Reflect Free Edition which is available in 32 and 64 bit editions and is fully Windows 7 compatible.

Also, I encourage you to create a Windows 7 Repair disk you can use to boot your computer. It will allow you to use Windows system recovery tools to help recover Windows from a serious error or to restore a drive image. Type into the search box in the Start menu System Repair Disk and you will see Create a system repair disk listed at the top of the search return list under Programs . Just press the enter key to get started in making your repair disk. Windows 7 also includes burning software for creation of the DVD.

Enjoy, and again, welcome to the Lounge!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to put Windows system recovery tools and/or a "repair disk" image on a flash drive/USB stick? In other words, how would one go about creating a "repair/recovery flash drive" for Windows 7?
    Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Is it possible to put Windows system recovery tools and/or a "repair disk" image on a flash drive/USB stick? In other words, how would one go about creating a "repair/recovery flash drive" for Windows 7?
    Thanks,
    Dick
    Check out this link for procedure to prepare a "repair disk" USB flash drive.

Here is another you might find easier to use.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald:

Thank you! I must not format my Google queries "correctly", because I cant tell you how many links I followed;
    and none of them were as clear and helpful as the 2 you pointed me too.

Regards,
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron and Gerald,
    Thats sounds like what i need, thanks for the tips. Does this back-up disk image just copy the OS and settings or programs and files also? How could it include programs and files b/c it wouldn't take long to fill up a dvd disc with all that right?

Thanks
    Dave,

Welcome to the Lounge. Please come back often!

The image is just that, an image of the entire contents of a partition. It has everything contained in the partition, all apps, data, customizations, settings and the OS. That's why this is so necessary when your OS gets hosed for whatever reason short of a hardware failure. You can put the image several places, another partition on the HD or a second HD, removable medis (DVD), an external HD (This is my preference) or in the case of Win 7 Pro or above, to a network storage device. You should also make a Windows Rescue Disk as part of your backup scheme. This is especially important when you do not have an original Win 7 disk. You only need one rescue disk no matter how many images you have. This leads into my next point, in order to restore your OS to the latest editions, you should reimage whenever you make significant changes. I usually reimage about once per month. Minor changes like backup of data can be handled with less than complete images.

Ted

I was originally very confused, must have been a senior moment, I did not realize there were 2 different individuals with very similar names in this thread, Dick-Y and Dave Y. Whew, thought I was going bonkers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Y View Post
    I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1470 off ebay. It has a valid windows 7 OS installed with the sticker on the bottom, but did not come with any supporting discs. So is there a way to create a OS disc should the need arise to repair or re-install Windows?
    Thanks.
    As others have mentioned, I think the best thing to do would be to;
    1. Create a rescue disk from the "Backup and Restore" interface and verify it's effectiveness by booting from it and running a simple memory test.
    2. Clean up the installation as much as possible without making too much of an extreme effort of it. At this point you don't want to go
    overboard with tweaks or deep system changes, just get rid of programs you don't want or need. Maybe create a partition on the drive. Do simple maintenance like disk defragmentation and simple disk cleanup.
    3. Make a full image of the entire os drive, either through the Windows built in "Backup and Restore", or some other imaging program
    you know and are comfortable with. You'll likely end up with at least a few DVDs.
    4. Verify the images effectiveness by restoring the image you have just made.
    5. If you are using the Windows 7 backup and restore, only use the disk image part of it.

Of course another option open to you would be to purchase an OEM system builders Windows 7 disk.

I was originally very confused, must have been a senior moment, I did not realize there were 2 different individuals with very similar names in this thread, Dick-Y and Dave Y. Whew, thought I was going bonkers.
    Dick-Y needs to create his own thread. it's impolite to change the topic of conversation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.