New Lounger
    Thanks
    For the last (approx) 6 months, Outlook Express (my OS is XP SP3) has generated very random, very frequent (with no obvious relationship to the volume of incoming e-mail) pop ups of a standard Dialog Box wanting to compact the messages. My Inbox and sent Box were WAY overloaded and I cleared them out entirely, but it made no difference. The random Dialog boxes kept coming. I unclicked the only command line that I could find that seemed to be an instruction to compact. That made no difference. I have not looked for a Knowledge Base article at Microsoft, but did consult a local computer repair guy w/o much success.

Two further "clues". Less frequently a dialog box will come up, running at full speed and E-mail meautomatically emptying folders out of OE store folders to the Recycle Bin. I then open the Recycle Bin and click "Restore All. Tonite for the first time, a dialog box came up reading "Application was unable to open OE message store 0x80004005,183". This dialog box refused to allow me to remove it by clicking OK and I had to close OE to accomplish that. Since that time, about 10 minutes ago, I've had 5-8 DB's prompting me to compact.

Looking for and will appreciate ideas and solutions. Thanks.

Jos

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you Google this problem you will find you are not alone. It appears to be a 'known issue' with SP3 & OE, probably because OE is effectively obsolete and thus not fully compatible with SP3.

OE is also know for corrupting mailboxes, the usual advice is to 'upgrade' to Windows Live Mail.

stuck
    edited to add this link to a thread on the OE newsgroup on the MS website