5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before I spend all kinds of time googling all over the web, i thought I'd come here to ask the following:

I'm planning to load a suite from portableapps.com on my flash drive.

However, the thought came to me that it might make sense to also load portable apps on my desktop, to replace where possible
    an existing piece of software. My understanding is there are no registry tie-ins or other "hooks" to the OS (smaller footprint etc.)

My question is: are there others here who run portable apps on their laptop/desktop; and if so,
    how did you set them up; and what has been your experience doing so?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this,
    Dick

Thanks
    I'm especially fond of software that doesn't require an install routine. This includes the Sysinternals Suite among others.
    Unfortunately they're few and far between.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The only one that I have run was FireFox Portable, and it was nothing to write home about. It did work fine however.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Before I spend all kinds of time googling all over the web, i thought I'd come here to ask the following:

I'm planning to load a suite from portableapps.com on my flash drive.

However, the thought came to me that it might make sense to also load portable apps on my desktop, to replace where possible
    an existing piece of software. My understanding is there are no registry tie-ins or other "hooks" to the OS (smaller footprint etc.)

My question is: are there others here who run portable apps on their laptop/desktop; and if so,
    how did you set them up; and what has been your experience doing so?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this,
    Dick
    Dick-Y
    Hello, I do this by placing the "APP" on my "Data HD" and then "right clicking" the .exe and either placing a shortcut on the desk top or pinning to start menu, or in the taskbar Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the helpful responses. This project is fun. I've set up a bunch of programs already; and
    the most fun part is I'm now looking into taking software that is not "portable ready" and creating my own portable-apps-version.

This will keep me off of street corners for a while.

Regards,
    Dick

Thanks
    I have found the Liberkey system better than the the portableapps one
    www.liberkey.com
    They provide a number of different suites with apps rolled in
    At this catalog page they have lots of additional software you can add to your suite e.g. OpenOffice portable
    http://www.liberkey.com/en/catalog/browse.html

What I particularly like though is once installed, say to your HDD, you can navigate the folders and find the individual programs
    Go to <install folder>/Liberkey/apps/<NameOfApp>/apps/<NameOfApp>/<executable.exe>
    Then you can send links direct to the apps to your desktop &/or start menu
    And you can set the app as the default for it's type - e.g. right click a PDF and choose open with and navigate to the App and 'Choose set as Default'
    So you need only run the app you want and not the whole Liberkey menu system
    Once in a while I run the Liberkey menu and use the tools in it to run an update of all the software

So overall you can use it as a menu, an updater and if you prefer - run the apps individually
    Best of all worlds
    Cheers
    [twitter]techhelpsite[/twitter]
    NOBLEJOKER
    Sth Coast NSW Australia
    My Tech Help Site www.techhelpsite.com
    My Computer Club www.mulligrubs.miltonulladulla.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree Portableapps.com is nice and I haven't tried Liberkey but I really like winPenPack (http://www.winpenpack.com/en/news.php) which has a really good menu system.

All the programs can be installed in a directory on your hard drive and the menu system works fine from there.

The only drawback (if that is what it is) is that the default language for many of the apps is Italian and although this can be changed in most, there are a few that are only in Italian.

From the website:

winPenPack is an open source software environment comprised of several portable applications grouped into suites (portable applications are applications that are modified to be executed directly from a USB flash drive, without prior installation). With winPenPack, any USB flash drive ceases to be a simple data storage device and becomes a self-contained environment, within which programs and files are homogeneously integrated.

Portable applications included in the winPenPack suites do not require any installation, do not leave their files or settings on the host computer, and can be easily transferred to another computer through any external device, such as a removable hard disk drive or a USB flash drive.

All you have to do is connect a USB flash drive to any free USB port on your host PC, and you will have your collection of pre-configured and ready-to-use programs instantly available, grouped in categories and executable through a user-friendly menu interface similar to the Start Menu, the winPenPack Launcher. It will be exactly as if you are working on your own PC, with web browsers, e-mail clients, image and drawing editors, chat clients, multimedia tools, PC maintenance and security tools, school and development tools, etc. Everything you need, completely free! All these features make winPenPack extremely useful in any situation.

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There may not be any real advantage to using a portable app rather than an installed one - and there can be drawbacks.

For example, Portable Firefox and some other portable applications still use the Windows Registry - they just save old Registry values on start-up and restore them on exit (as long as you exit normally, anyway). And if you use Portable Firefox rather than install it, either it won't be associated with (e.g.) .htm files at all (if you click on one it will bring up IE) or if you do associate it with such files but don't already have it running it will create a new profile in your user area rather than use the portable one (almost certainly not what you wanted). Oh - you can't use the normal Firefox update mechanism either, but rather have to wait until the Portable Version is updated and then reinstall it (the reinstall is easy, though - just over the existing version).

Years ago I used Portable Firefox/TBird in order to share them across a multi-boot Win98SE/WIn2K system, but where such special considerations don't obtain it's usually simpler just to use the normally-installed versions (unless you're actually using them on a portable drive that gets moved around).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used the portable apps also for well over a year, possibly two years and I also decided to use them on my desktop computer and laptop. In my case, I installed the application on my flash drive. once it was configured to my liking, I copied it / them to a "Portable Apps" folder in my "Programs" folder, then create a desktop shortcut to the actual programs that I use the most often and use the "Start" button to access the rest (with manually created shortcuts). I've been very happy with this arrangement.
    I have done this on W2K and XP without files going into the user folders even when using the Firefox update although it was a problem for a while, maybe because I had previously installed the regular Firefox.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't get enough portable apps. I don't have a particular suite running on my laptop, I just collect portable apps wherever I can find them. I have a folder in the Program Files folder called Utilities where I stash all portable apps, then manually create a shortcut on the Start Menu. This way, I can grab any portable app from the web (PortableApps.com, PortableAppz.Blogspot.com, PortableFreeware.com, Google searches, etc.) and add them to the folder. Combine that with Launchy and I don't really need a menu system. And as always, BACKUP. Having that folder backed up saved me from having to reinstall several programs when my laptop's hard drive crashed.

Just remember, if you find that a program isn't good, just delete the folder; no uninstallers to worry about. Enjoy!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've started using "Portables" about 6 months ago. I use ASuite as the menu program for these programs. I just copy a 250 meg folder to any computer, click on ASuite and all of the programs are available. Many of these are utilities but a number of programs like XnView or RevoUninstaller or Free Commander are always right there. There is no installation, they're just there after copying one folder.

The other thing that I like about portables is that they put "very little" or nothing into the registry, it depends on the program. Most importantly because they are portable allmost all of these programs are freeware, with a few exceptions for businesses.

I have a few non portable programs like Microsoft Office or Acronis True Image but whenever possible I type in xxxx Portable in Google to see if a portable version exists.

The portables that are in my Single ASuite Menu (great menu program) are listed below. Please excuse the page numbers, it was just easier to cut out the index to my Manual of Portable Programs.

AllSync 3
    Bookmark Manager 39
    CCleaner (PF) 40
    Close All Windows 41
    Defrag Auslogic (Fast) 41
    Defrag for Registry 42
    Driver Magic 42
    Erunt 42
    File Search 43
    Free Commander 43
    KillBox 44
    Macrium Reflect Drive Image Win 7 ?? 45