Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My friend called me over because they were having some problems with IE. IE would say connection failed. I tried Firefox and it worked great. I looked and they had IE7. I updated to IE8 thinking that would help. Nope. IE would not work. Why will FF work but not IE? Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    My friend called me over because they were having some problems with IE. IE would say connection failed. I tried Firefox and it worked great. I looked and they had IE7. I updated to IE8 thinking that would help. Nope. IE would not work. Why will FF work but not IE? Thanks.
    what OS is he using? have you tried to look at his firewall it may be blocked?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    He is using XP. What would I do for that and how would I add an exception? Would I go to the IE folder and add an exception?

Thanks
    A bit more information would be helpfull here like;
    When was the last time he was able to run and connect to the internet with IE.
    What os, or programatic changes where made since.
    If it is a firewall issue, it could be a simple matter of temporarily disabling the firewall to verify.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I doubt a firewall would block IE and not other browsers. Has he tried to check for viruses/malware recently? I would use a good scanner or 2 to check for these problems first. If nothing is found, I would try to restore to an earlier time when IE was working. If all else fails a repair install may solve the problem as some IE component may have become corrupted.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    He is using XP. What would I do for that and how would I add an exception? Would I go to the IE folder and add an exception?
    there is always a possibility yes for firewall to block IE, anyways you could try to go to run then type firewall.cpl then go to add program browse for iexplorer.exe, then try to run a system scan using threatfire and spybotsd, a malware may be the culprit. if i may add could you check if in internet option the connection in LAN settings proxy server had been enabled? if yes then please uncheck and check use advance settings instead. Thanks and Goodluck.