Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Windows 7 Home Edition with all updates current (6/4/2010). I have installed a few programs - downloads from the internet - such as Google Earth and Windows Live Movie Maker. They worked fine after their installation and a few times thereafter however, after a time I receive a message that the program cannot be found. The path is then listed. I have tried to use the Uninstall of some these programs but I get the same message. At times it also gives me the message that I can 'delete the shortcut (?)". I can't find the program in Control Panel >uninstall programs. I then must do a simple delete of the files located in Programs (or Programs x86) and then download and reinstall the program.

What is causing this loss? Could it have anything to do with the updates?
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    Hi Barbara,

It sounds like the programs you mentioned my have become unregistered or very corrupted. After deleting the files and folders in Program Files and reinstalling the software, has this occurred again? Or are you able to use the apps normally now? If you see this happen again, try using System Restore to restore your computer to a state well before the issue arose. You may have to reinstall the apps after doing so.

Try running a chkdsk. Click on Start | All Programs | Accessories | right click on cmd and select "Run as Administrator". In the Command Prompt window, type in the following: chkdsk /f (be sure to put a space between the 'k' and the "/" mark) and press enter. You will be informed that it is not possible to do this because the drive is in use, and you will be asked if you want to run the procedure at next startup. Follow the prompt by entering 'y' and exit the Command Prompt window. Next, reboot your computer. Chkdsk should run and fix any disk errors it detects. It might not find any, but we want to check for any file corruptions on your hard drive.

I would also run antiviral and antispyware scans to see if anything is detected. You can supplement your active protection with MalwareBytes Anti-malware and SuperAntiSpyware, both of which are available free. One of the good things about these two is that they are not actively running in the background, but only when you issue the command to scan. They are both very effective, and will not conflict with your active antivirus app.

I have not heard of an issue like this connected to any Windows Updates, but perhaps another lounger has some information on this matter.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Yeah, it does look as if something got corrupted either via the physical hard disk itself, as Gerald alludes to, or by mucking around in the os.
    [mucking around in the os]; Making or performing deep system changes or the manipulation of exe's, shortcuts, and or folders.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem has happened to a few programs (4) so far and only once - but the computer is young yet. I purchased this machine 20 May, it was a display model. (last one). I will wait a week to see if I again have problems before performing the chkdsk (an old DOS program and still embedded in the basics of this newest O/S!)

Thanks for your help.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]