Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi Loungers, I am thinking of keeping IE8 on my PC (Win7 HPrem 32 bit) and using the portable version of Firefox. My reason is, at the moment IE8 has been removed/disabled (only possible if using Win7) and only using FF. As I also use Secunia PSI, but it only works correctly with IE8 but shows as insecure.
    As to FF Portable, its only known drawback is slow to start but then runs excellently.
    If you can add any PROS or CONS to my intended set up please do.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I have both IE 8 and FF 3.6.3 both on the same 2 PC's at the same time. Either open properly when I click on it's icon. I often have both open simulataneously, as I do right now while I type this. Some sites seem to work better in IE, some in FF. Why don't you want both on your system at the same time? I presently have FF listed as my default browser, but could just as easily choose IE 8 as the default browser. They have always coexisted well together.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Ted, its just something i thought about doing to pass the time. I've only had a pc for approximately 3 years and still learning. All I wanted was points for and against. At present my desktop W7 only has FF, laptop Vista has both. FF on LTop seems faster.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Ted, its just something i thought about doing to pass the time. I've only had a pc for approximately 3 years and still learning. All I wanted was points for and against. At present my desktop W7 only has FF, laptop Vista has both. FF on LTop seems faster.
    I actually do not notice a difference on mine. I use whichever suits my fancy at the moment. I like using a theme for FF and find the customization is eye candy I like. What I do is to empty the cache often. This keeps things running quickly. I set both up to empty history and cookies when closing. I also use CCleaner to further clean up the system. This has the added benefit of cleaning out the temp files on my PC which tends to keep it "lean and mean". I find both browsers work very fast when I keep them clean. I also use Sandboxie when I'm surfing sites I do not know. As can be seen Sandboxie opens my web browsing in a virtual environment which I can delete if anything unexpected tries to get into my system. This however slows the initial boot into the web browser while the Sandbox is set up, but does keep my surfing safer. Sorry to have gotten slightly off topic.

oops, I see we got into this subject on another thread. Did not see this until I had already entered this post. I am leaving it because it may help someone else as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    As I also use Secunia PSI, but it only works correctly with IE8 but shows as insecure.
    Which is insecure, IE8 or Secunia PSI? If Secunia reports a program as insecure, there almost always is an update.

Thanks
    Hi jscher2000, I have the lastest version of secunia.

[attachment=88940:WSL.JPG]

Thanks
    If there is no patch and no viable workaround, I guess you'll need another browser.

Thanks
    That takes us back to original post topic. If I only have IE8 istalled at a higher level of security and use FF portable it could improve my security.

Thanks
    That takes us back to original post topic. If I only have IE8 istalled at a higher level of security and use FF portable it could improve my security.
    I have also used Secunia in the past and as with all such apps, I take what they tell me with a "Grain of Salt" During my XP and Vista times, Secunia kept telling me I had insecure versions of Macomedia Flash on my PC. If you will remember Flash was called Macromedia Flash, before I believe Adobe bought it. This was after I had uninstalled all versions of the old flash and installed the newer Adobe product. I believe there must have been some leftover "stuff" in my registry.

I feel that if I do my best to keep everything up to date, be careful where I go and what I do, use Sandboxie to create virtual environments for my browsers, etc. that I feel as though my PC's are very secure. Part of security is being proactive in what you do to protect your "stuff". I use CCleaner to help erase traces of myself on the web, and erase un-needed temp files on my PC. All these things are what makes you secure.

There are always going to be new threats, that's why Av and AM manufacturers are in business. IE and FF could fix all the present problems only to have more come up tomorrow. You might just find that Secunia, although a good tool, is only one tool in an arsenal of tools and should not be written in stone.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    If I only have IE8 istalled at a higher level of security and use FF portable it could improve my security.
    Firefox Portable has some unusual settings that might protect you from attacks that read history or cache. However, if there were a program vulnerability, for example a buffer overflow, I doubt you would be protected any better than if you were running an ordinary installation of Firefox.

Incidentally, Secunia Alert SA39925 seems to be a very limited kind of attack, and could be minimized by using the NoScript extension to prevent scripts from untrusted sites from running.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have also used Secunia in the past and as with all such apps, I take what they tell me with a "Grain of Salt" During my XP and Vista times, Secunia kept telling me I had insecure versions of Macomedia Flash on my PC. If you will remember Flash was called Macromedia Flash, before I believe Adobe bought it. This was after I had uninstalled all versions of the old flash and installed the newer Adobe product. I believe there must have been some leftover "stuff" in my registry.

I feel that if I do my best to keep everything up to date, be careful where I go and what I do, use Sandboxie to create virtual environments for my browsers, etc. that I feel as though my PC's are very secure. Part of security is being proactive in what you do to protect your "stuff". I use CCleaner to help erase traces of myself on the web, and erase un-needed temp files on my PC. All these things are what makes you secure.

There are always going to be new threats, that's why Av and AM manufacturers are in business. IE and FF could fix all the present problems only to have more come up tomorrow. You might just find that Secunia, although a good tool, is only one tool in an arsenal of tools and should not be written in stone.
    I could not agree with you more, the good V the bad is like the chicken & egg, which came first.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Firefox Portable has some unusual settings that might protect you from attacks that read history or cache. However, if there were a program vulnerability, for example a buffer overflow, I doubt you would be protected any better than if you were running an ordinary installation of Firefox.

Incidentally, Secunia Alert SA39925 seems to be a very limited kind of attack, and could be minimized by using the NoScript extension to prevent scripts from untrusted sites from running.
    I am using 'noscript.' As to FF portable Read This

Thanks
    As to FF portable Read This
    Can you be more specific? It's 11 pages long. (I've used Portable Firefox, so I am generally familiar with how it works.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Can you be more specific? It's 11 pages long. (I've used Portable Firefox, so I am generally familiar with how it works.)
    What I'm referring to is all on first page re stealth.

Thanks
    What I'm referring to is all on first page re stealth.
    I see, you can configure Portable Firefox not to write to write crash logs to the hard drive. However, this does not effectively sandbox the application such that it cannot possibly touch any files on your hard drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast