Thread: Clonezilla

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Ted Meyers asked this question and i feel that it deserves it's own post....as Clonezilla is a useful (free whatever ) program to have in your "bag of tools" for all those who use a Linux "distro" http://clonezilla.org/

Fred,

I have Clonezilla iso on CD. I wish to burn the image to my Seagate Go 1 TB Ext HD. This is where I put all my Windows Images from Win 7. Clonezilla keeps defaulting to my HD which I do not want, even though it sees the HD as a USB device. Do I need to use Gparted to partition the Ext HD to provide a partition on the Ext HD to store the Linux Mint image? Or is my only choice to create yet another partition on my Internal HD to store the image? Or can I use a DVD to accomplish this? I guess these are the options. Your advice would be much appreciated.

I started another thread with my observations, problems and solutions to prevent this thread from getting too involved. Please take a look and give any advice you may. Have a great day! Ted
    Ted hello,
    I'm not quite sure of what it is that your asking about "burn the image" but i will attempt to explain the use of Clonezilla.
    1. Make a new folder on whatever drive you want and lable it (no spaces) LinuxBackups. Do not put the new folder in any other file or folder. So Clonezilla can see it when directed to the drive you select.
    2. After downloading and burning the "iso" CD you run Clonezilla at boot time (load the CD and boot from it)
    3. On my OS i have to choose a screen resolution that works better than the default that is initially offered. (2nd choice on my OS)
    4. Carefully read all the screen choices that are presented and select the option that you want... i would select "beginner" when that one comes up. (at least to start with)
    5. Select a "drive"where you want the image to be placed ( the folder you made)
    6. Select the "target" drive that you want to "image"
    7. Finish clicking through the rest ... and let Clonezilla do it's thing ... on my OS takes about 25mins or so.
    8. You do not need "gparted " the "image" will be placed on whatever drive you selected initially. (and where you placed the folder)
    Post back and let us all know how you made out ... I have used Clonezilla for a few months and it takes a bit to get use to ... but it works ! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred,

Thanks for the reply. I was attempting to place the Linux Mint image on my Ext HD rather than in a folder on my internal HD. Perhaps I can make the folder on my Ext HD. I will try this. If I have to place the folder on my Internal HD I will do so. I will try this and post back. Thanks again. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Fred,

Success! It took 3 tries to get it right. First: Did not select my External HD correctly, started over, Second: Accidently chose disk rather than part, cloned the entire disk including NTFS partitions - wrong, Third: Correctly chose part and selected the Linux Mint partition. it was imaged to my ext. HD successfully. Thanks for the pointers. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Fred,

Success! It took 3 tries to get it right. First: Did not select my External HD correctly, started over, Second: Accidently chose disk rather than part, cloned the entire disk including NTFS partitions - wrong, Third: Correctly chose part and selected the Linux Mint partition. it was imaged to my ext. HD successfully. Thanks for the pointers. Ted
    Ted,
    Glad that you have had Success! with Clonezilla. As i have said it takes a bit to get use to as it only has a basic user interface. So... for all who wish to use this program ...just take your time and read all screens carefully . I have used this program to backup and restore my Linux system (32 and 64 bit ) several times without a problem,and as a plus it does not image blank sectors."Gparted" shows the size of my Linux Mint9 system as 8.64GB so it seems that there is good compression going on ( my last backup was 1.22GB ) I know my Acronis Imaging 2010 v7046 can not say the same. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Ted,
    Glad that you have had Success! with Clonezilla. As i have said it takes a bit to get use to as it only has a basic user interface. So... for all who wish to use this program ...just take your time and read all screens carefully . I have used this program to backup and restore my Linux system (32 and 64 bit ) several times without a problem,and as a plus it does not image blank sectors."Gparted" shows the size of my Linux Mint9 system as 8.64GB so it seems that there is good compression going on ( my last backup was 1.22GB ) I know my Acronis Imaging 2010 v7046 can not say the same. Regards Fred
    I have to second the read all screens carefully. If I had I could have saved about 1/2 hour when the entire disk was cloned, not just the Linux Mint partition. Now if I could figure out the printer??? Thanks again. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted