Star Lounger
    Thanks

Could it be a virus?

Is the following consistent with a virus attack or just

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Could it be a virus?

If your friend still has Win98 Setup Diskette, Bootup Diskette or ERD, tell him to try good old
    fdisk /mbr
    command at the DOS prompt. If it doesn't work, obtain BIOS upgrade disk (from Internet on another computer), run it, create new partitions on the hard drive (if necessary), format them, etc, etc...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    In theory you can get worm (not virus) infection by merely opening an email or, note, a web-page . Offensive is an example, which is "a trojan horse that is able to execute directly via a web page or a HTML formatted email message by using a security vulnerability in Internet Explorer" You should see what it does to the Registry! Get the latest updates for your browser - the hole has now been patched.

btw, tell your friend not to open email attachments at all. Save them to a folder and run your VS over them. If clean, then they can be opened. They are very good at hiding that little extra exension after what looks like the real one. Pop over to my website and read the page 'Attack and Defence'
    I keep getting the SirCam in my mail, but it always looks quite innocent. Did he by any chance use a floppy recently?

For ultra security do not send or accept attachments. Your source may be a trusted friend, but the email may have been sent from his mailbox by a virus to you, simply because you're in his Address Book.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Although I was going to try mbr, I had fought shy of trying to re-blow the BIOS. If we cannot work out the board manufacturer, I suppose it may have a flash utility on the original CD. Out of curiosity I have just checked the AMI site for my board, downloaded their board identification utility to see if it works for my board. Guess what, the manufacturer tag is 00000 so no way of checking board manufactorer by that method. I think I have the box in the loft so would not be a problem for me. Hopefully my friend will have a note of his board details.

Thanks for thoughts