Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In Windows XPP I have an MP4 file that I cannot seem to delete even after rebooting which always in the past allowed me to delete pesky files like this. I have checked its properties/attributes and it doesn't appear to have anything out of the ordinary going on. So how can I delete this file?

Thanks
    H Lewton

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try renaming the file then click to delete it - this has worked for me sometimes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have already tried renaming bot the extension and the file name itself and still I cannot delete it. Thanks
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try something like Dr.Delete Download.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Try deleting it from safemode and or ensure nothing is in the startup that could have a handle on it, like a media player or some other device.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That worked and thanks. It still bothers me though because I don't know what made it do this and since it is a file type I may have to work with over and over which is created by a new camcorder I just got, I would sure like to find and correct the cause behind it. I will contact the camera's tech support tomorrow and hope they are better than most tech supports I have had experiences with lately. Again, thank.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What worked?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Does the camcorder software or driver have a process that runs in the background or a startup item that sits in the tray?
    Whatever software program created it may still have a handle on it. It could merely be a simple matter of ensuring that the
    whole program is shut down, or it could be just bad coding with the camcoder's driver or the software.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    What worked?

Joe
    Deleting in the safe mode. Sorry Joe I didn't see your post earlier. Not sure how I missed it.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Does the camcorder software or driver have a process that runs in the background or a startup item that sits in the tray?
    Whatever software program created it may still have a handle on it. It could merely be a simple matter of ensuring that the
    whole program is shut down, or it could be just bad coding with the camcoder's driver or the software.
    I am thinking the latter because I tried rebooting when I first couldn't delete the file. I will ask the tech tomorrow if he can tell me what I should look for using the task manager because I tried to find something I could recognize, highlight, and then end the process but had no luck. There is nothing I can recognize as software that would be running from the camera's software and there is nothing at all in the systray. Actually I am a bit embarrassed that I didn't think to try the safe mode but that just never seems to enter my mind. I will try to keep that in mind in the future.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    OK after almost 1 1/2 hours on the phone with the camera's support team (a couple of them because my problem was escalated) I am only confirming that it appears to be a software problem with the program it installed on my computer, Intel Audio Studio 2.0. We tried removing it through the Control panel's Add/Remove app and it is the only program I have installed that has no "Remove" button associated with it. So I ran a system restore to a point before this program was installed and even after a successful restore the program was still listed in the installed programs in the Control Panel. I do not understand this at all.

We then removed Intel Audio Studio by deleting the folder in the C:\Program Files\Intel Audio Studio\ folder and then was able to delete the original file I started this thread over so we believe we confirmed that the program is the culprit. The tech suspecting I had done something wrong on initial installation had me reinstall it with the identical results, I could not delete the file and in Control Panel the program still has no "Remove" button. He has no answer and has escalated my case yet to another person who I am supposed to hear from within 24 to 48 hours.

I think I am returning the camera so now the question is since I know how to delete the file and delete the folder where this program is installed how can I get Intel Audio Studio 2.0 to be gone from the list of programs under Control Panel's Add/Remove applet? Is there a Registry edit I can use to get rid of this?

Again Joe in case you missed it I am sorry I didn't see your first post in this thread. I did not intentionally pass over it.

Thanks
    H Lewton

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Use Revo it will un installer any thing

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This also happened to me. I installed Roxio 2009 in Sept of 2008 didn't know at the time that you couldn't copy DVD for personal use it shut down my PC. It was an Treasures Of The Snow DVD . This was on a XP PC. I did a search and deleted everything that I found. Looked in the regedit for left over keys. Removed Roxio 2009 tried Windows Install Clean Up, Revo, System Suite Professional 9 and couldn't find any left overs from the DVD.
    However it was still there oh after I removed all that I thought was there. I used CC Cleaner to wipe the Hard Drive. My PC never seamed the same it would have crash and Treasures Of The Snow was the problem.
    I finally did a clean reinstall of XP to fix this.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft SysInternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb842062.aspx) has an application called Process Explorer. A neat feature is the ability to find the process that has a file open and learn about it or kill it. This would have allowed you to then delete the file. They then have another application called AutoRuns that would allow you to prevent it from automatically starting the next time you boot or login.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a classic case of why not to use the proprietary software that comes with your camera! You should be able to off load the pictures or video into folders you have created by using the camera's USB cable, which is optional in some cases but nonetheless most cameras have the mini-USB connection on them. You should also be able to remove the flash media card and place it in the card reader in the computer and then select which files you wish to transfer to that folder by placing the flash folder and the target folder side-by-side and dragging over the images or video you then want. You can then bring that file into the photo or movie editor of your choice.Most card readers will read everything but Olympus Xd cards. Fortunately, mine does making the task easy by simply transferring over the files I need. Most flash cards in cameras have an unusual 2 or 3 directory down structure, so open folders until you see your media. That should do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast