New Lounger
    Thanks
    I started a Windows 7 backup to an external drive about 22 hours ago and it's still running. The data is mostly photos, about 230 GB, and the backup target is an empty 1 TB drive. The Backup monitor shows the process only 39% complete, and the Resource Monitor shows constant activity. Seems slow though. Only about 130 GB is filled so far on the target drive. Is something wrong, or is this normal?

Thanks
    I believe the Win 7 back up utility is very basic. You would probably have more success and quicker results with a 3rd party app. It does seem that your situation is inordinately slow though.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Based on the stats, I'm estimating the backup will be completed around midnight Monday--60 hours total from the time it started. I've been disappointed with other backup systems, so thought I would try this one as it was touted by Woody Leonhard. But I'd sure like to hear from other backup users.

Thanks
    When I tried to use Win 7 backup, approx. 29 GB took less than 45 minutes. This was a full system image through a USB2 connection on a Win 7 Ultimate system to a Seagate Go external HD. Extrapolating this out to 230 GB should be less than 5 hours. Something is not right with your backup. I would try a third party app such as Acronis True Image Home 2010, (This is what I have chosen to use. You may find it for considerably less than listed on the Acronis site), or Macronium Reflect, a free alternative.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The first 20-25% seemed to go relatively fast, then the process seemed to slow. Going from 30% to 40% took around 12 hours. From what I'm seeing on other forums, several days to do the initial backup is not unusual. I'm going to let it run and then see if a subsequent backup is relatively quick. I have a lot of large image files, including raw images that are around 21 MB. They are always backed up as they are downloaded, so I'm really looking at double protection here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Everett View Post
    I started a Windows 7 backup to an external drive about 22 hours ago and it's still running. The data is mostly photos, about 230 GB, and the backup target is an empty 1 TB drive. The Backup monitor shows the process only 39% complete, and the Resource Monitor shows constant activity. Seems slow though. Only about 130 GB is filled so far on the target drive. Is something wrong, or is this normal?
    I would think that you would be far better off doing a "hard copy" backup to an external drive rather than using any software method,
    ...especially for photos.
    There is also an issue with attempting to compress something (photos) that is already compressed (JPEG) if this is what format your photos are in.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I was also thinking that perhaps just drag and dropping the photos to the ext HD would work more effectively. Open Windows Exlorer in your Pictures folder of your HD, open a folder in the ext HD and select all pics, then just drag them over. This will make the backup the same size as the originals, but as Clint mentions, jpegs are already compressed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I've used non compressed winrar containers in organizing photos and then moving them off to a storage device.
    230 GB worth of photos will take more than just a few hrs to transfer, but nowhere near the stated 22 hrs. So yes,
    something is definitely wrong. I do hope you are not attempting to use "drive imaging" as a backup method for this.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I stopped the backup at the suggestion of an HP tech. I had it running under the Windows default. I'll start it again and select my own directories. These files are already copied to other external drives. Incoming raw files are automatically backed up to an external, and I also burn them to DVDs. But processed files have been backed up manually and somewhat haphazardly. It's the automatic feature that I want to run a backup of new and changed files overnight. I'll post the result.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: I started the Windows backup at 6:20 last night, specifying backup only for files in the documents folder. That amounted to 147GB. When I checked at 6:30 this morning the backup had completed successfully. Haven't tried a restore yet. Stay tuned.