New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it happened. My 8 yr XP PC rolled over and refused to boot. Itís gone. Iím trying to recover the data that I didnít have backed up Ė all of my documents. Iíve removed the boot drive and obtained an ATA drive enclosure. The drive is recognized on another XP machine as a removable drive and I have recovered all the other users my documents information that I want. My problem is that because this was a family computer and I had used the computer extensively for work I had secured my data files in XP. When I went to copy those files (10 + GB) I got the access denied message and all attempts through the interface to view and move the files failed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can punch through the XP security and access, and copy my data? My next attempt will be to see if I can insert this boot drive into another PC and boot, as Iím assuming that the security is tied to the XP installation on the drive and if I can log in I should be able to review and copy the files. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may help. It is from a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Watson View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a file ownership issue. As such, Tim's link to KB810881 would be the way to go.

"To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder:
    1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
      1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
      2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
      3. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
    2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of: You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    7. Click Yes.
    8. Click OK, and then reapply the permission"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim, I'll give it a try.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the security is via NTFS permissions you can "take ownership" of the files and folders, then copy them to another machine. If you secured the files by encrypting them you can pretty much give up now, unless you can boot from the old hard disk on another machine. You may be able to create an image of the old hard drive that you can import into Microsoft Virtual PC or VMware.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

That might be the case (I don't remember), which is why I might try and put the drive in another old PC and see if I can boot. Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Don't try to boot from the drive until you have cloned it. Backup before experimenting.

cheers, Paul