New Lounger
    Thanks
    Built a new PC (Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Win7 64-bit) to use as a Photoshop box and a Media Center PC. Here's what I'm trying to do:

Two users. Me, full control, Administrator, for use when Photoshopping, performing admin tasks, etc.

Second user - "MediaCenter", to use when running Media Center. Limited access (my wife, a PC Luddite, will be using this, so I want the least chance of her messing things up).

When MediaCenter is logged in, I want that user to do only Media Center stuff. I want all my music, movies, etc. in a folder (off the root? Let's call it "Media" for discussion.) that is accessible by this user READ ONLY, no rename, no delete, no move, etc. etc. etc.

When I look at these folders and their current security, they have access by:

Authenticated Users (more or less full access)
    SYSTEM (more or less full access)
    Administrators (Computer/Administrators) (more or less full access)
    Users (Computer/Users) (limited access)

When I put "MediaCenter" as a member of "Users", "MediaCenter" still seems to be able to delete/ rename/ move stuff in the "Media" folder.

Why is that? What are my options?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any user able to login is an Authenticated User, therefore you will need to modify the permissions on the folder.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are just dealing with one user, you can just add that user to the share and not use the group. You can then set that user to read only.

In other words, just add MediaCenter as a user of the share and give it read only rights. You do not need to add it as member of any of the groups. (It will be a member of "everyone" automatically).

Groups are generally used when you need to give the same rights to multiple users.

As Paul says the other option is to set the "users" group permissions on that folder to be read only.

Thanks
    Hi Irv, and welcome to the Lounge!

Here is an easy way to give your wife read only permission to your "Media" folder. When you create your folder under your username, the one you are calling "Media" for the sake of discussion, right click the folder and select Share with | Specific people . Specific people refers to other users on your local computer. This will open a file sharing window where you can choose a specific person with whom you can share your Media library. If your wife's username has already been set up, you can click the drop down list to add her username to the approved list. When you do so, the default permission will be Read. She will then be able to access and use any files you copy to this folder.

This is an easy way to allow your wife, or any other user you designate on your computer access to your Media folder to play movies,music, etc. without giving them permission to access any of your other user folders or files. If she were to click on any other folders under your username, she will be denied access to the folders. Of course, you can share any other folders you choose in the same manner.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome!

@Gerald - do I need to create that folder under my personal folder structure? Or can it be at the root level?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Irv Rollman View Post
    Thanks for the welcome!

@Gerald - do I need to create that folder under my personal folder structure? Or can it be at the root level?
    I would create the folder under your own username. The "Media" folder you create as outlined will be the only folder your wife (or anyone else you grant "read" permission to) can read unless you give permission for some of your other folders.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill