3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My XP is acting strangely. Programs freeze, Windows Explorer won't let me paste files, applications report corrupt memory. Sometimes I get the "Blue Screen of Death."

I had similar problems last year and bought new memory cards. Everything operated smoothly for several months, now back to problems, although not exactly the same kind.

I can surf the web without any difficulties but when I use applications, either memory intensive like Photoshop or apps requiring little memory like Explorer, I sometimes have to reboot to get them to work.

After the problems started, I tried upgrading my Windows with SP3 but it didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Reads as though you've got a RAM problem. Although, it could be a power supply problem.

Have you run any RAM tests such as Microsoft Online Crash Analysis - windiag?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No. I haven't run any diagnostics yet. When you say "Ram problem" do you mean a physical (hardware problem)?

Thanks
    Yes, I believe Joe is referring to your ram sticks or cards as you referred to them. Try running a memory test on your computer.

You can download Memtest86+ here. I believe there is an auto-installer for a USB key available, and a pre-compiled ISO in zip format, both under version 4.10.

Prepare your CD or USB key, boot to the CD or USB and run the program for several passes for a thorough test. If memory errors are detected in different random addresses, the problem may be a power supply outputting the wrong voltages. If memory errors are detected in the same address over and over again, then a faulty memory chip is the most likely cause of your problems.

The fact that the same problems returned recently after having your memory replaced last year makes the power supply suspect. You might want to get it checked by a techie after you run the memory test.

If you do not have a good backup of all your data files, I would make that a priority. If the power supply is going bad, it could contribute to a hard drive failure as well.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill