Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey there folks,

I've got a couple of weird things going on. Number 1: I have three computers, 1 desktop, WinXP SP3 wired LAN, one HP Vista laptop, wireless, and a newer Sony Vaio Win 7 machine, also wireless. All pertinent updates applied to all three. Now, I can see all three computers from each, I can transfer to and from shared folders from the XP to the Vista computer and vice versa. I can transfer to and from the Win 7 and Vista computers. But if I am at the VAIO and want to transfer from the Win 7 to the XP machine I get some kind of "You need permission to do this" error. However if I am at the XP computer and try to transfer from the Win 7 to the XP machine, usually it works no problem; sometimes I have to enter my Win 7 computer name and password (it's the only one I use a password to log on). I hope this was explained clearly, but of course I can clarify if need be.

Now on to issue number 2: Whenever I have both laptops on as of late, there is network traffic between the two. For the life of me I can't figure out why, although using Wireshark I see that it seems to be some kind of transfer of music files from one computer to the other. I don't know why nor do I know what software is doing this. I do know it makes network traffic from the 'Net a bit more sluggish than usual. I have looked at my running processes and can see nothing that might indicate a piece of software that is doing this. Now I do know that Sony has something on their 'puters that will allow a media sharing across all computers, and when I first got the Vaio I did start it up, configure it and start running it (I'm pretty sure it's called simply "Media Gallery"). However my music collection is quite large, and I really didn't need it to share my music and/or videos, my Tivo software does that already for me, so considering it was taking so long to identify all my music across all three of my machines I turned it off and stopped it from running at startup. This weird transfer has only been happening for a few days now, and that was a couple of months ago when I first got the Vaio that I tried that software.

I also use Network Magic on all three computers.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, and I await whatever may come from our collective wisdom.

Thanks.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

Thanks
    Hopefully to answer your first problem.I can give you a link that will show & explain the situation;How to Geek
    #2)My suggestion would be to you.Is to,UNinstall Wireshark & Network Magic.Just from the stand point that the,Windows operating systems.You have installed will do better on their own.The link I gave you above has more information on it as well.Just type in the search box @ the link to find more.
    BTW,after you UNinstall wireshark & network magic.I would reboot every system you remove the programs from.Then I would do a defrag on the hard drive as well.Hope this helps you.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Hey Ron,

Thanks for the response. As far as the tutorial on the howto geek site, my settings are all correct. Like I said all three computers can be seen from each other, I can transfer to and from all, except when sitting at the Win 7 machine and trying to transfer to the XP machine. Again, in Windows Explorer I can see the XP's folders, I can start to transfer, but when I do, I get the permission error. I can transfer from the Win 7 machine to the XP machine when sitting at the XP machine. Most of the time I do this it goes smoothly, although on a couple of occasions I have had to enter the computer name and password, but not always.

As far as Wireshark goes, this is a standalone packet sniffing program that I only run when I want to see what the network traffic is. I am not hacker qualified, and only have rudimentary knowledge of it. It does not run in the background all the time. Network Magic, on the other hand I paid for and up until now has not only not been a problem, but has been a program I get great use out of, so uninstalling it is not an option.

The two questions then become: Why can't I transfer from Win 7 to XP3 while sitting at the Win 7 machine, when I can see AND transfer files FROM the XP machine to the Win 7 machine, AND transfer files to the XP machine while sitting there? And, is there a way to find out what piece of software is making my music files transfer from my Win 7 machine to my Vista machine?
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

BUT

Thanks
    Example say you to share your download folder from windows7.Click on,View @ the top.Go down to customize this folder click on it.Click on the sharing tab @ the top.Under Network File & Folder Sharing click on Share.Then in the blank space,Type everyone click on add.Then click on Everyone below for Read & Write.
    About the music files transfer,try disabling the Network Magic @ start up.To see if that helps?Also change your channels in the router for your wireless settings.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Z. View Post
    The two questions then become: Why can't I transfer from Win 7 to XP3 while sitting at the Win 7 machine, when I can see AND transfer files FROM the XP machine to the Win 7 machine, AND transfer files to the XP machine while sitting there? And, is there a way to find out what piece of software is making my music files transfer from my Win 7 machine to my Vista machine?
    Generally on XP systems you need an account and password the same as the connecting system.

Most likely it is Windows Media Player that is causing the music files to be synced. Check the options on each system.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Ron,

Folders that are shared on Win 7 are already marked for "Everyone" for both read and write. The problem is only one way, trying to transfer from Win 7 to XP while sitting @ Win 7.

Joe,

I do believe you may be on to something with Windows Media Player. However I cannot for the life of me find any settings that affect this. I do see "updating media library" when I open WMP, and I turned off "Allow streaming", rebooted and same thing: constant network traffic. I searched the help file as well and found nothing that might denote constant traffic to any other machine. I have never set up anything on Media Player that might allow this in the first place, and it's starting to get on my nerves that it's even happening. I'm usually somewhat adept at finding out what's going on and why on my computers but this one (two, actually!) has me stumped. I appreciate the assistance you folks have provided thus far, and eagerly await the next tidbits of wisdom you may impart.

Also, I have never used passwords on any of my systems, except this newest Win 7 machine.

Peace.

BUT

Thanks
    I think I found why the constant downloading/uploading between my two laptops! It does seem to have been WMP. The VAIO has something called Media Plus, and it was showing up in the library/device list in WMP. Once I removed it from the list, network traffic was back to normal. Yay. I still found NO setting where I can enable/disable the "feature", but simply removing it seems to have worked (for now!)

Now if I can figure out the other network issue I'll be ecstatic.

Thanks, Joe P. for pointing me in the right direction!

Peace.

Computers make it easy to do a lot of things, but most of the
    things they make it easier to do, don't need to be done.
    -- Andy Rooney

BUT

Thanks
    Well, Whatever I thought it was, it wasn't. The two laptops are still "talking" to one another. I went int to the Media Gallery setup and turned off any and everything I could find that might indicate some sort of "syncing" behavior, and yet I still see traffic between the two laptops. Argh. It is still strictly music files and I have done everything I can think of between WMP, and VAIO's Media Plus software setup turning everything that has to do with updating, syncing, or otherwise communicating between the two machines off.

I know there must be _someone_ out there who can at least point me in the right direction to try and find what the heck is going on.

Maybe Fred or Brian might peruse these fora occasionally and make a post or two. I just want to find a way to see what program is running, that isn't showing in running processes, or perhaps another way to use Wireshark to not only sniff the packets, but point out what prog is moving those packets around.

Anyway, still waiting, still reading.

"The richest man can not buy for himself what the poorest man gets free by radio."------ David Sarnoff

BUT

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a program called 'What's My Computer Doing' available free of charge. It monitors traffic on the bus and will show you which programs are accessing the hard drive. http://www.itsth.com/en/produkte/Wha...g.php?fromwmcd. Hope this helps.

I recently networked my two computers and noticed constant unknown activity between them. I assumed this was normal behaviour. Anyone with advice, please? Anthony.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Z. View Post
    Now if I can figure out the other network issue I'll be ecstatic.
    Did you try the steps at Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek as mentioned above?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Scott,

Re the networking issue . . .

Does your error message say anything about 'not enough server resources'?

If so, do you have Acronis installed on the XP machine?

If so, try uninstalling it . . .

tom

Thanks
    Scott Z

This is just a thought, but have you compared the security settings for all three computers?

Look at the Internet Options in the Control Panel. Go to the the Security Tab and select the Internet Zone, then the Custom Level button. Scroll to the bottom and look at the various logon descriptions on each machine. I suggest selecting automatic logon only in the Intranet Zone.

See is that helps. Check out the other zones under the security tab as well.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe the following Q&A will be of some assistance:

My network is made up of Windows 7/Windows XP/Linux PCs. I can't access the Network Attached Storage (NAS) drives via Windows 7 Professional -

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Fix_W...ms.htm#naswin7

Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the File Sharing problem, I can't find where you mention it specifically but the fact that the XP system occassionally asks for password when browsing from remote may indicate that you're using XP Pro. If so, "Simple File Sharing" may be disabled. In an explorer window (My Computer will do), click on "Tools", then "Folder Options", then "View". In the "Advanced Settings" section, usually at the bottom, ensure there's a checkmark by "Use Simple File Sharing". Reboot and see if it makes a difference.

Good Luck
    JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

Thanks
    Wow! A few days of nothing, then suddenly a flurry of responses! Thanks guys! I have figured out the constant net traffic issue. There is some kind of "content monitoring" software Sony installs, including a service component called "content importer". Stop that service in msconfig, reboot and voilą, only the occasional normal back and forth between computers, Tivo's and other 'net traffic. No more abnormal CPU activity either.

JoeP: The Win 7 settings are as the HowToGeek article suggests. I haven't as yet had a chance to sit with all my 'puters and check the XP settings, but will do as the article says, hopefully this weekend.

John Brown: Yes, it is XP Pro. As stated, this weekend I will hopefully get to the XP machine and will also check the simple file sharing setting.

Again, thanks to all, and I'll let you know if everything works out soon!

BUT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast