Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an Excel list that contains employee names, salaries, benefits, and other information. I'd like to create a Word document for each employee that shows this information and shows a pie chart with the slices corresponding to salary, benefits, vacation, retirement, etc. I can drop the merge data into a Word document with a simple table. But how do I get the pie chart to change for each employee? I want John Smith's pie chart to reflect his numbers, Mary Jones's chart to reflect hers, and so forth.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bob,

I have attached a simple example of how I might solve the problem. Each employee would need a separate chart in excel. I can't see how it could be dynamically updated as the merge & link is limited. When naming your charts in excel, use a unique name for each employee. Have that field in your merge data. I used employee number to name my charts. In Word the merge link field looks something like this.
    { LINK Excel.Chart.8 "C:\\Temp\\Test chart.xls" { MERGEFIELD EmployeeNumber } \a \f 0 \p }. Note the EmployeeNumber merge field embedded inside the Link field.

When you merge each link field should be updated with the unique employee number. That should then correspond to a chart in Excel. IMPORTANT: after the merge you need to select all (CTRL+A) and fresh the fields (F9) to update the charts for each employee.

The attached example was created using Word & Excel 2003.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Matthew

[attachment=88957:Test chart data for merge.zip]
    Attached Files Attached Files