Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a noisy pwr supply on my gateway desktop and think I should replace. Which pwr supply would you suggest?

Bob

Thanks
    Gives us a bit more details on your computer, like exact make and model.
    You may also be able to get the specs from Gateway and try and figure out exactly what your replacing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I have a noisy pwr supply on my gateway desktop and think I should replace. Which pwr supply would you suggest?

Bob
    Bennett,
    Hello, this all depends on a few things ....
    1. How much room is there in back of your power supply now. As some Power supply's are longer than others and can interfere with CD/DVDRW's as was in my case. The Larger you go in wattage,at some point depending on manufacturer the longer they get. Some towers like mine are too small to accommodate these. I have a 750W Corsair unit in my PC and it is somewhat longer than the standard unit that came with my HP Pavilion desktop . So things are quite cramped
    2. Also you need to determine how much power your "OS" uses at maximum (downloading and installing etc.) And how many drives that you are running.
    My PC came with a 250W unit that would have been on the edge of being too small. Think you should figure max Watts and add about 25% to be safe.

Once you figure that out you then can purchase any from whatever manufacturer you choose. I used Corsair mainly by shopping on line and doing the "compare thing" Directron \ NewEgg \ TigerDirect ...etc. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I'm with Fred. Back in my days of building PC's, I would always find what I though was the most power I would need, then add at least 25% to that. Be advised that not everyone puts as much into and hanging outside his case as Fred. I think he must heat his house with his setup. (Fred says he had to modify his case a bit, and I do not think he understated that!) The average user with a HD or two, and reasonably good graphics card, the normal share of other drives, and all the fans etc can probably get by with a 500 to 600 watt power supply, perhaps less. Fred's also right that you have to consider physical size. In a setup like Fred's you have to provide a lot of cooling to keep the setup below the melting point. As Clint mentions, PC manufacturers are great sources of info if you can actually get to talk to a real person who speaks your language that you can actually understand! (Darn did I really make a reference to the overseas tech. people.) The several resellers Fred mentions might also be good sources of info, or simply stop by your local PC store and start chatting.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for your input.

I contacted Gateway via their live chat representative-u know the ones over there-and subsequent to that effort decided to take the unit out to the garage and clean it out. I "drained the power supply" as suggested and following to the air cleaning and the power draining the noise continues albeit with much less frequency.

So I found the power supply specs and will search the suppliers for a like unit and replace it in the near term.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Bob

Thanks
    Fred,

I'm so impressed with your PC case that I saved your picture for future reference if that's OK with you.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Fred,

I'm so impressed with your PC case that I saved your picture for future reference if that's OK with you.

Ted
    Hi Ted,
    No Problem.... guess that i should send you a picture of our house... as that is becoming the real "PC" enclosure
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hi Ted,
    No Problem.... guess that i should send you a picture of our house... as that is becoming the real "PC" enclosure
    Regards Fred
    Fred, You made me LOL Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted