Thanks
    I'm scratching my head over this.

I designed a form in Access with "flat" (text) fields. The default property is "sunken" and I wanted to spruce it up a bit. On every computer I run this on, they look just the way I designed them. But when I test this on a client's workstation (WinXP) they appear sunken.

To add to my confusion, while trying to determine what the heck's going on, I noticed in properties that my fields still say "sunken" even though they appear flat. In fact, I can't make them look sunken anymore.

Is there a setting in Access (or Windows XP) that affects the default display of something like this? That would disregard my design and display sunken fields? Or disregard the property "sunken" and display flat? Is there some kind of cache I can clear? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Kim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is a database specific option: "Use Windows Themed Controls on Forms" that might explain what is happening.

In 2003 it is under Tools...Options..Forms/Reports, while in 2007 it is in Access Options...Current Database.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    Tony, you were absolutely right. I unchecked it and my forms displayed as sunken. Rechecked it and they appeared flat.

Does this pertain to the program, or the current database? Since another workstation seems to be able to override it when running my database, it points to this being a program option, yes?

**********Addition after poking around***********
    Two things: the checkbox in Access does seem to be checked by default. My client looked in her program and it was checked. But her Windows theme seems to be a modified "Windows Classic" theme. When I switched her to Windows XP, the fields displayed flat. However...

What ruffles my feathers is that I remember changing all the fields to flat, not checking this option.

But I freely admit it's still possible that I'm not remembering correctly. I'll give editing the fields another try and see.
    Thanks again for pointing me to the right solution.

Thank you!
    Kim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmurdock View Post
    Does this pertain to the program, or the current database? Since another workstation seems to be able to override it when running my database, it points to this being a program option, yes?
    It pertains to the database. (In 2007 it is in the Current Database group of options)

So on my computer, I have lots of databases. For most of them I have this unticked, but for a few it is ticked.

So when you move a database to another computer, it should retain whatever setting you gave it. Does each workstation have its own copy of the frontend?

Perhaps the difference is the windows theme on the various computers.

My recollection is that the default value is checked.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    John, yes, each computer has its own copy of the front end.

And yes, this option seems to be checked by default there. But I believe when they imaged the computers, they applied the "Windows Classic" theme which displays those fields as sunken.

It's good news to know it's database-specific. I've learned something new and I thank you.

Best, Kim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Kim,

This post got me wondering so I did a little googling...

You can set this from VBA:
    Code:
    Application.SetOption "Themed Form Controls", False
    See article here: Set Access Options w/VBA

RG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG --

It makes sense that those options would be accessible with VBA. Thanks!

K