New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows Vista, Business edition and Microsoft Office 2007. For MSO, I have only installed components I use - so amongst the excluded items are Access, InfoPath and Publisher. I use Windows Update for both the OS and Office - the setting is to advise when available; I then select, download and install. When Windows Update advises new updates, I deselect (uncheck) those items I do not have installed. However, Windows Update represents those items, calling for download and installation.

I don't want to, don't see the need to, install the updates for uninstalled applications. But I can't find a setting to stop and or hide those patches.

Can anyone help? Its appreciated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nesbitt View Post
    I am running Windows Vista, Business edition and Microsoft Office 2007. For MSO, I have only installed components I use - so amongst the excluded items are Access, InfoPath and Publisher. I use Windows Update for both the OS and Office - the setting is to advise when available; I then select, download and install. When Windows Update advises new updates, I deselect (uncheck) those items I do not have installed. However, Windows Update represents those items, calling for download and installation.

I don't want to, don't see the need to, install the updates for uninstalled applications. But I can't find a setting to stop and or hide those patches.

Can anyone help? Its appreciated
    Jim, Welcome to the Lounge. Please come back often.

You can right click and say hide to unwanted updates. They will no longer appear on the list.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi, Jim.

Although you may have selectively installed Microsoft Office 2007 cmponents -- and there certainly were a lot of updates included in the release yesterday -- I suggest you take a closer look at the updates included in the Bulletins. The information below regarding the Office updates is from the "Affected Software and Download Locations" of the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for June 2010. Additionally note the "Exploitability Index" on the same page. You may wish to reconsider hiding unwanted updates.

Security Bulletin MS10-036
    • 2007 Microsoft Office System Service Pack 1 and 2007 Microsoft Office System Service Pack 2, (KB982312), (Important)
    • Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Service Pack 2[3], (KB982308), (Important)
    • Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 Service Pack 2[3], (KB982158), (Important)
    • Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 Service Pack 2[3], (KB982124), (Important)
    • Microsoft Office Visio 2007 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Office Visio 2007 Service Pack 2[3], (KB982127), (Important)
    • Microsoft Office Word 2007 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Office Word 2007 Service Pack 2[3], (KB982135), (Important)

Security Bulletin MS10-038
    • Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Service Pack 2[1], (KB982308), (Important)

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
    Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ ~ ~ May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for those comments, Ted & Corinne.

Following them, I did more searching on the update KB numbers. In one, I picked up the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830335/en-US/

In short, Microsoft says, 'yes, Windows update may present updates for uninstalled components. We recommend you install the updates for uninstalled component, ' but gives no reason as to why that is advisable. It goes on to say that if you choose not to install them, Windows Update will present them again.

I TRY to have a lean system, installing only programs or suite components I do actually use, and need to be convonced of the merit of updatiung software I am not running.

Thanks
    I like a lean system too...
    Ted's response works quite nicely as I have an NVIDIA update, as an example, I have not been in the mood to mess around with
    just yet. GPU updates always seem to mess my screen resolution up, which in turn messes up my windows explorer and browser
    screens as well.
    Until you get get satisfactory information your looking for, hiding them works well enough.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows uses parts of excel, office, powerpoint as part of the operating system whether the whole program is loaded or not. Pieces of them are integrated into windows and the os would not work without them. All of those updates could be necessary to fix holes or bugs in the pieces that windows has to have to run.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGadgetFixer View Post
    Windows uses parts of excel, office, powerpoint as part of the operating system whether the whole program is loaded or not. Pieces of them are integrated into windows and the os would not work without them. All of those updates could be necessary to fix holes or bugs in the pieces that windows has to have to run.
    I do not believe this is correct at all. I uninstalled Office 2007 prior to installing Office 2010 and my Win 7 continued to work flawlessly. I have never heard or read that the OS would stop working properly if parts of the office apps are not updated. That seems to be a totally false statement. Where did you get this info? I would suspect it's source if I were you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy