Thread: Outlook Broken

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Had a power outage last night and now Outlook 2003 is broken. I get a send/receive error (unknown error) when attempting to send receive. When I attempt to dismiss a reminder, I get a message that it cannot be dismissed and the message references my PST file saying that it cannot be accessed.

I have run the "detect and repair" utility found in the HELP section of the menu which said everything was installed correctly, but it did not fix the problem. I have rebooted and closed and opened Outlook repeatedly.

When this first occurred, when I would open Outlook, I would get the message that my personal file had not been closed correctly and it would check for problems. This is no longer occurring, but the program still will not function.

Any ideas as to a fix?

Douglas

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Forgive the obvious question, but is internet access restored, and when you go into your mail account settings in Outlook (in 2003 Tools | Email Accounts | View or change | Next | select the account | Change | Test Settings) does the test succeed? The first time you opened Outlook after the outage, did it tell you it couldn't find the PST, or did it provide a warning that the PST was not closed properly and then examine the PST before completely opening Outlook? Have you run scanpst.exe (aka the Inbox Repair Tool) on your PST to fix any damage?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi John.

The internet was fine. I finally got it fixed. Turned out there were a bad cluster or two in the PST file, perhaps from a head skip at the power outage. CHKDSK finally fixed that and then the inbox repair utility verified the PST file. All is now well.

D.