2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IN THE WILD

What you should know about anti-malware testing

By Robert Vamosi

The debate over who produces the best anti-malware product is quite possibly the most contentious in the PC industry, and your computing safety hangs in the balance.

In this report, I take a look at what test results are available to the public and what they say (and don't say) about antivirus products.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/06/10/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 18:32.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sunbelt has the best product out there I have been using threre products since day on. I believe when Sunbelt bought the company way back when it was called Tiny Firewall. I am probabley wrong because it's been so long. If you want one the best software products to protect your computer add Vipre Peimun. You will I promise never regret it. The price is right and it works in the background and you don't even know it's there. I can't say enough about it except get the trial verision and you will see for your self. You can cover all your computers at home for less than thoese other guys. I just completed the beta testing for Vipre Premimun which is also a firwall which I run in advance mode. You will not regret making the switch. I also use the paid ver of Malwarware bytes with Vipre. The I do another check with SuperAntispyware. I will include the links in case you are interested in checking the programs out.

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-home-office/vipre/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (Free Verision Also)

http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html (Free Verision)

Addd this to your tool box to keep the bad guys out.
    Lyle Hensley
    Really Enjoying Every Breath
    Retired US Army
    1957 - 1978

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quite a good article.

It still shows a little bias towards certain brand names: but hey, don't we all. We go with what we know or with those we trust to give us good advice, (which is why I get the paid version of Windows Secrets). That is the mainstay of our interest in IT news. We don't know everything. We can't. But often times we can find those who know more about a subject then we do and we are grateful for their knowledge.

Now the hard part...who should we listen to. A few of the products mentioned in this article aren't ones I would recommend. There are various reasons, but in the end it is down to the fact that they can in some way let us down more than an alternative. It may be that they slow our system down, are over zealous in their attempts at protecting us and give false positives that can create their own issues, or the ever faithful - just not stopping viruses. Whatever the reason, some perform more adequately than others. None are 100% perfect and all, like a biorhythm, can swing over time between good and bad. The trick is to find one that meets most of these needs and just does it's job.

Given that I am in the IT Service industry I am often called upon to recommend Anti-Virus and Anti-Mal-ware packages. I have changed my recommendations a number of times over the years, simply because products have changed and their effectiveness has changed with them. Products I have previously recommended I now don't, (even to the extent of steering people completely away from some products that don't seem to work at all any more!). Some products have now become mainstays in almost all circumstances. Nevertheless, the most important thing to be is honest. I let people know when I am a reseller, (Eset NOD32), or if there is any financial gain on my part and advise people of the free alternatives, (MS Security Essentials, Avira, etc.). But in all instances I wouldn't recommend a product I wouldn't use myself or that makes a quick buck rather than doing it's job. I like the products I resell. I liked them before I became a reseller and recommended them before I made any money from them. Eset NOD32 Anti-virus is yet to let me down and my clients are more than happy with it. They keep coming back because it does it's job.

In short, learn about those giving advice. Are they honest? Do they tell you the whole story? Will they still be there when you need more advice? Here are two links that should help. The first is to AV Comparatives - providing all of their latest reports and showing the results for their testing. The second is an Eset article about what to look for in advice on anti-virus products, (yeah, it's biased - but then again what article from a vendors direct website isn't?).

http://www.av-comparatives.org/index...144&Itemid=152

http://www.eset.com.au/quick/snakeoil.html

Thanks
    If you read Rick Broida's article closely, he admits that he DOES use antispyware, in the form of Windows Defender (now known as Microsoft Security essentials). That, my friends, IS AV software!

So whom do you trust? Not people who have a vested financial interest (as resellers) in the comments they post (see above),

I do not recommend any particular product anymore. Some people will find the automatic set-and-forget products like Norton 360 to their liking. Others (like me) prefer to "roll our own" with a selection of high-ranking freeware products (e.g., Avast, Comodo, and a couple of stand-alone antispyware scanners). Still others like their AV to be cloud-based (like Panda). I sometimes recommend MSE because, coming from Microsoft, there should be ample support options directly from Microsoft, and there should be fewer conflicts with MS Updates and Windows third-party software than with independent vendors. But some people would never trust Microsoft, so there's still a crowd who prefer third-party products.

And if you are running 64-bit Windows (any version), make sure what you choose has Native 64-bit protections -- not a hybrid or 32-bit program within 64-bit Windows.

My point is, as long as you are using something, you are better off than those who use nothing (or rely on the router's defenses only). I no longer recommend any third-party firewalls for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, because the built-in Windows Firewall (with a bit of tweaking) is effective enough for most home users. So my other advice is to keep things as simple as possible without compromising effectiveness. And don't trust any one source -- look around the Internet, and see what a variety of professional reviewers are recommending, both free and paid. Then decide which solution(s) may be the best for your computer, your software, and your needs.

And as always, in this type of discussion, these are just my opinions, based on my experiences and reading. Please do your own research, and make an informed decision.
    -- Bob Primak --