Thread: computer freeze

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am using XP Pro on my desk top computer and, I set it up using Windows Secrets suggestions to make it energy efficient, and when I click on standby, the window freezes on Preparing to Standby. whether I do it manually or set it on auto. The only way I can get out of freezing is by using the Reset or Power Button. Any idea's on how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This Microsoft article on hibernate/standby issues lists a number of possible reasons for the symptoms, maybe it will help you to the right direction. I suppose it's next to impossible say for sure what the cause is in your case.

In my experience main reasons have been:
    • lack of BIOS support for the requested feature(s)
    • connected USB hardware not shutting down properly
    • outdated device drivers
    • software processes running background

Rule any of these out/in and keep us informed - maybe it will bel help for some others, too.

Cheers, ripley --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ripley, for your reply. The reason of, connected USB hardware not shutting down properly was the problem.

I unplugged my HP printer and standby started working, Thanks again. Any ideas on getting it to shut down with the printer connected.

I changed to my user name so that I could find my posting faster.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never seen a computer with a normal compliment of peripherals capable of using sleep or hibernation correctly. Lost files in the printer cue, corrupted files, network glitches, losing drivers, and the list goes on. Just use power management to turn off the monitor and hard drive at say, 20 minutes and 30 minutes. There will be a few second delay when you wake up the drive and monitor, but no glitches. Using sleep might save you $20 a year, but I don't think it's worth it for all the hassle.