New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a very strange but frustrating situation. One desktop and one laptop connected to each other via a Cisco/Linksys router. Laptop connects via cable or via wireless; the effects are the same in both cases. The router acts as DHCP server. Each computer can connect to the internet and the two can share files between each other. However, they cannot ping one another. Each one can ping the router, wireless access point and network printer, but they cannot ping one another.

It helps to be able to share files, but certain network functions are not working.

The desktop is using Windows XP Home (newly re-installed) and the laptop is running Windows XP Professional. All firewalls are disabled.

Both computers have guest accounts enabled.

I've Googled and searched and tried everything that looked promising but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Welcome to the lounge.A little more information would be nice.
    1)What is the model # of your Cisco/Linksy router?
    2)Are the two XP systems up to date as far as the SP packages?
    3)Is the router in question,have the latest firmware?
    This will help in troubling shooting your trouble.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.

1) The router is a Cisco/Linksys WRT120N.

2) Both XP systems are running SP3 and have been updated with all the latest patches, etc..

3) The router is using firmware version 1.01. I tried downloading the latest firmware file from the Linksys website but on installing it I get the message "Cannot verify file".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you trying to ping by name or IP address?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By IP address.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing that I can think of that could cause this is a firewall. I know you say that all firewalls are disabled, but are you sure......

There could be a firewall attached to some security software or vpn client software that you don't know about. If it was only happening on one machine I would be almost sure. It does not seem logical that it would happen on both unless the same software is installed on both.

If it is a firewall, some firewalls will allow file sharing within the local network but will not allow ping (ICMP echo).

Thanks
    I have to agree with>mercyh on the firewall.
    This is a quote from your manual;Security > Firewall
    The Firewall screen is used to configure a firewall that can
    filter out various types of unwanted traffic on the Routerís
    local network. Which you will find the settings in;Advanced Configuration.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Ron, Mercy and Joe,

I eventually solved the problem by returning to an earlier system restore point on the desktop and an earlier disk image on the laptop. Overkill, perhaps, but I just couldn't get anything else to work. The only filter that was set on the router firewall was IDENT, which I left unchanged before and after the system/image restore. I suspect that the problem was caused by a bandwidth monitor (BWMeter) messing up the networking settings. BWMeter seems like a handy utility but not much good if it messes up the networking settings. There remain unsolved mysteries, however.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you figured out a way to get it working again. Disk images can be a lifesaver in these situations. The problem can seem very small on the surface but consume incredible amounts of time to find and fix.