1. Lounger
    Thanks
    I have noticed on my old HP Laptop running XP SP3 has a directory called SWSETUP. It is using about a gig of disk space and I am looking for stuff to delete. What is in here looks like a lot of setup files for installed programs that already have stuff in the program files directory. Can any of this stuff be deleted?
    Thanks,
    Dave Diels

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What is exactly inside "SWSETUP" folder and how large is it.
    SWSETUP+XP+HP
    It may be a holding area for HP apps that were preinstalled on your computer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I believe the folder is a container for drivers on your HP computer. It may also contain other HP files as well as Clint indicated. You could burn the contents to a DVD for safekeeping if you want to delete the folder. Even so, if you download a new driver from HP, it may create the folder over again.

It would be a good idea to check with HP's support to confirm its role. I would copy the folder elsewhere regardless of whether you delete it or not. There is always the possibility it may be difficult to download drivers, whether old or new, depending on how old an "old" HP laptop is.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    This is what I do when confronted with this dilemma:
    1. Put all the files in the directory into a single or maybe 2 or 3 zip files, the number is determined by how many and how large the files are.
    2. Delete all the individual files, leaving only the zip file(s) in the directory.
    3. Run and test all of my 'most' important apps.
    4. Re-boot the computer.
    5. Run like this for a few days or more.
    6. After a few days, if there are no ill side effects I put the zip file(s) on a backup DVD
    7. Permanently delete the directory and all of its files.
    HTH
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

6. Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the tips.

The directory contains what seem to be setup files I suppose from a variety of programs installed on the laptop. Some Adobe, some Norton, some HP. Some of it goes back to 2001 some recent SP------ files.

I will try your suggestions and let you know what happens.

By the way although this is on my old laptop my newer laptop also and HP but with XP Media Center OS has the same directory on it.

Thanks,

Dave Diels

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    SWSETUP is the directory that contains all the apps and drivers that shipped with your PC. It is not critical and can be deleted with no issues whatsoever..HOWEVER. it doesnt really take up that much space and if you ever need to format and dont have the recovery discs..this little directory will have everything you need. At the very least, keep the network and wireless network drivers so that if you ever format you're not stuck in the catch 22 (need drivers to get on the internet to get drivers for the internet to work). Other than that, it wont harm it to remove it, but again I wouldnt unless you REALLY need the free space. THe adobe and norton junk you can definately remove since it will be obsolete but keep the drivers. You can always get the latest drivers from HP aswell.

I can tell you this with confidense based on the fact that in the last 4 years I have probably formatted and reinstalled windows (and in many cases replaced the harddrive) on dell laptops probably 200 times (based on an average of 3000 computers fixed..all brands).
    Richard Chase
    Technical Support
    E-mail me
    Gadget&#39;s Computers

8. Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,
    I followed your advice and backed up the directory both to external disk and cd's. Then I deleted it from the laptop. Everything is OK. It looked to me like it was a directory that stored setup files for a variety of stuff most of which I didn't recognize. When you have filled up the hard drive with as much stuff as I have the 40 gig drive was down to under one gig for a while. So the half gig wasted in this directory was much needed.

I also found a bunch of Norton protected files using up a lot of space and finally got that stuff deleted. It still runs slow expecially after a long day. But it might be all the programs I have loaded on it. I am starting to go through and clean out stuff that looked good at the time but was never used.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave Diels

Thanks
    Read the replies in the other Thread you started for some other suggestions on this very similar problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy