Lounger
    Thanks
    What may be a major problem over the last few months my old laptop running XP SP2 and using a dial up connection (don't laugh) has displayed several new problems.
    Most annoying is that for some reason over those few months the dial up connection disconnects for no apparent reason while I am using it. I occurs many times an hour and reconnects at different speeds varying between 14 and 56k. Recently I upgraded to SP3 and that has not helped other than now filling up my hard drive.

I had cleared off files to a portable hard drive to free up 3 to 4 gigs of space but now for some unknown reason I'm down to less than a gig of free space. I've used a variety of utilities to clear out temp and a bunch of unnecessary files but to no avail. I'm looking for files that are on the machine that can be removed other than files I need. I'm missing something here but know know what to look for.

Oh yes and most annoying is that it takes the computer about 15 minutes to boot up. Task manager shows about 50 processed running most of which are system files and Symantic Norton 360 and antivirus stuff.

Suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Dave Diels

Thanks
    Looks to me like you have more than just one issue here...

Can you give us some more details;
    How large is your Hard drive, How much RAM (memory) do you have. What is your processor speed.
    Processor speed and memory size can be found by going into "My Computer" by right clicking>>general tab.
    Hard drive size can be found in Windows explorer by double clicking on "My Computer, right click on "C Drive", go to properties. Total size will be listed under "Capacity".
    What is the make and model of your Laptop.
    Go through you "Add/Remove" programs in control panel and list the number of applications.
    Make note also if you have an Windows XP OEM install disk or a recovery partition.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dave,

I may have a possible reason why your PC/Laptop is booting slow as in my case. My PC (XP Pro SP3) took 10 to 20 minutes to totally reboot / the taskbar. It was driving me crazy, until I could finally get the task manger to popup during the reboot. I noticed my CPU was running at 99% and looked down the list of running processes and found that the "DivX 8 Plus", DivXUdate.exe was causing this problem.

I then used MSconfig and STOPPED DivXUpdate.exe from starting up. BINGO!!! I rebooted my PC, problem solved. I may go back to DivX 7.2, but so far the DivXUpdate.exe has not started with my reboot. I also deleted DivXUdate.exe from the Prefetch folder. I will not be updating DivX 8.1 Plus for quite sometime.

This DivX 8.1 Plus problem doesn't seem to effect the PC I use at work with Vista installed (Yuck).

I don't know if this was any help to you, but maybe to others with their PC's booting up slowly in the last month, week or two as was my case. Take care.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,
    I suspect my problem may be the 180 programs it shows as installed. I've got some cleaning to do.

I will also look for the Div 8 Plus software, although I don't recall ever installing it unless it was one of those programs HP installed.

As for the laptop itself it has only 1 GIG or RAM which is the most it will take as far as I can determine. I upgraded from 512 to 1 gig a your or two ago.
    It has a 40 Gig harddrive with separate install disks which came with the laptop. It has XP Home with SP3 installed just a couple weeks ago but it was slow before that.

The screen crapped out a two or three years ago so I use an external monitor with it and it replaced an old Win 98 desktop that was one my son-in-law and I put together and really never used as I only had a less than 10 gig hard drive.

Dave

Thanks
    Slim down on those program and start up items count and you should be able to get it to a manageable state.
    Clean install if all else fails. XP can deteriorate over time, if it's been a considerable amount of time since the
    last clean install, another would be in order.
    Along with a boot checkdisk with r switch enabled.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    As a rule of thumb, Windows needs about 15% free hard drive space to run well. In your situation that would be 6 GB. To get down to 1, 2 or 3 GB free space can cause lots of unstable behavior. There are several system services that temporarily need to use hard drive space. If your page file is set for Windows to control, it will gobble up more drive space in certain circumstances. Also, with less than 15% free space, Disk Defragmenter will not fully defrag your hard drive.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I would stop all but 1 or 2 apps from starting with windows. That will speed up your boot a huge amount. Most do not need to be running in the background. I would then completely uninstall Norton 360 as it consumes a large amount of disk space and probably more system resources than is healthy on your system. Install MSE or free version of Avast. Either of these free AV apps will suit your system better than the much larger Norton Suite. The biggest thing though is to corral those apps. Take a good long look. How many have you not used in forever, or never used. Use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of most of them to free up disk space. When you don't have the space you must resist the urge to install little used apps or very large suites that gobble up huge amounts of your very valuable resources.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy