Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Is there a way of displaying the character count (with/without spaces) in Word 2007's status bar?

It is possible to click the Word Count in order to quickly get the character count but many of us are writing content for Google and other web-based activities where the number of characters is critical.

Others have asked this question on the web but I haven't found a solution.

TIA for any and all assistance,

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't believe there is any way to add that to the status bar, though I haven't investigated using VBA to modify the status bar. The only way I know of to get the character counts in Word is to click the Office button, choose Prepare, then choose Properties, and then in the drop-down with the info icon and Properties, choose Advanced Properties, and it gives you character count with and without spaces. Why that is an Advanced Properties is a Microsoft mystery...
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, there is a Word Count icon on the Review tab (in the Proofing group at the left side of the Ribbon). Clicking the icon produces a dialog that displays, among other things, the character count (with and without spaces).

And you can add a Word Count icon to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) by right-clicking the QAT, choosing "Customize Quick Access Toolbar...," navigating to the top left of the Word Options and changing the "Choose commands from:" drop-down from "Popular" to "All," then scrolling through the Command list until you find "Word Count." Then click to select that command, click the "Add" button, use the "Up" and "Down" buttons to move the icon left or right in the QAT if you like, and "OK" out of the Word Options (in order to save your changes).

Once you have added the icon to the QAT, you can get the info. you want with a single mouse click. Note that it helps to position the QAT below the Ribbon (right-click the QAT and click "Show Quick Access Toolbar Below the Ribbon") so that it expands into a full-sized toolbar.

Hope this helps.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    A little more than 8 years ago, we had a thread about this in an earlier version of Word. One of the proposed solutions was to attach a macro to the space bar so that every time you press that key, a macro would run and update the word count in the status bar. Another approach was to set a timer in code to do the updating. Whether any of that will work in Word 2007, I don't know, but if not directly useful, perhaps it will provide inspiration -- and guidance on what was troublesome.

See: Monitoring typing (Word97SR2).
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-10-26 at 16:30. Reason: Updated link.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All replies greatly appreciated, even though there seems to be no solution.

As said, a lot of writing is character-based so it would be very useful to have a running count of characters with spaces.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Character Count vs Word Count (in MS Word 2K7)

@daverap WRT: "perhaps it will provide inspiration" from jscher2000

Hello, All: Don't know how significant/useful my contribution may (still)be -- given the age of this thread & my only recently becoming a Lounge-/GEEKo-Lizard...

MS Word 2K7 has been a PitA, to be sure; pretty much having to re-learn everything{after spending way too long looking for 'it', &c}.

CHARACTER COUNT -- the "quickest" way I've found to deal with this is by <L-click>-ing on the WORD COUNT(which I have showing in the BOTTOM LEFT corner of the window/frame of the doc). When the dialogue box pops-up, it indicates the following "STATISTICS": Page, Words, Characters(no spaces), Characters(with spaces), Paragraphs, Lines [& there's a box to check/uncheck for the INCLUSION of textboxes, footnotes & endnotes]. {Hey, at least there's a running WORD COUNT!}

If you don't find this useful, perhaps someone else will. Cheers! ~
    Last edited by Demi; 2011-09-19 at 22:38. Reason: (left out some 411!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile WRT: Character Count in Word 2K7 Status Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia1962A View Post
    Thx,Demi.The answer is useful.
    Happy to have been helpful ~ : Demi