Star Lounger
    Thanks

Insufficient Memory

Sparky, Leif, and Eileen helped with a hardware qestion, now this. Again, a new Win2000 pc, OfficeXP, 1.2AMD, 256MB ram. While trying to save files to a floppy disk, my daughter got, among other errors, I guess: "You have insufficient memory to perform this operation", or something to that effect. She had already closed out/shutdown, and just called to rant. Her cursor exhibited some erratic behavior, too...basically Word no longer worked. A couple years back, I got the same/same type of message on my Win98SE machine (256 ram). I think I was trying to just format a floppy. I took care of it with a Config.sys tweak I stumbled across in a Fred Langa newsletter. I have been a W2K student for maybe two weeks, so at this point I can spell Win2K, but that is about it!
    Thanks,
    David Carter
    David Carter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insufficient Memory

256Mb RAM should be plenty, but there are things that can eat up memory for no good reason. Too many shortcuts on the desktop; using the Office taskbar; programs in the system tray. There are things like Realplayer that take a little dissuading from appearing in the system tray - and a basic version comes with 2000. It runs in the background for no apparent reason. CTRL+ALT+DEL>Task Manager will give you an idea of what is running.

The open applications shouldn.t be a problem, but the list of processes may come as a shock (it does on my system!). You also get a view of how your system resources are being used. You can shut down unnecessary programs from here, but I haven't worked out the equivalent of msconfig for 2000 to stop things loading at startup.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was just wondering if the malfunctioning floppy drive I asked about in the Hardware Forum could be sucking the "resources" dry. Supposedly, the GDI/User Resources (Win98) are something like 124k...the amount of RAM really doesn't matter. I have read that bit of info, but I really don't know if the same applies to Win2000. There is not an excess of shortcuts/sys tray items/processes running. That puts me back on all counts to that A: drive. I'm looking for the MSCONFIG equivalent, too.
    Thanks,
    David
    David Carter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Process of elimination: unplug the floppy drive and see if this helps (make sure the boot sequence in the BIOS does not go to the floppy first).
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am a newbie to this forum, so please excuse any lapses in social skills. I have attached a file that is supposed to be the msconfig equivalent for Win2K Pro.
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if anyone is daring enough to try, let the group know.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike
    I tried it. Works fine in Win 2kP, apart from the Help button. Where did this file come from?

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to download it from TweakFiles.com when they were still operating. That is if I remember correctly.
    Regards,
    Mike