New Lounger
    Thanks
    On one of my PCs at home, when I move the mouse or hit a key to remove the screen saver, I then attempt to enter my password to get back to the desktop. Occasionally, the PC won't accept my password. I try several times, and make sure the caps lock isn't on, all to no avail.

To see what was happening, I tried typing over my user name, and I get garbled text and numbers. The only cure is to reboot the PC, then all is well until it happens again.

I'm using Windows XP SP3. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have multiple keyboard layouts installed and you are accidentally switching layouts. You can check this, and change it, in the Regions and Languages settings (well, that's the name in 7, I don't have a XP system handy to check the name in XP.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter, thanks for the reply. I checked the Regional and Language Options settings in Control Panel, and only English is there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's a laptop, I would check that Num-lock isn't turned on -- that is if it's only the keys on the right side that are acting weird.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, not a laptop, and none of the keys return the correct letter or number.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you made changes to your system, such as added a new user, or hardware perhaps? I'd check whether Fast User Switching is on and toggle it to see if there is any effect.

On my XP box I had many users and at some point if I had Fast User Switching on, I couldn't write anything at all in the password box if someone else had logged in and out during my session. So I had to settle to logging in one user at a time. Not exactly the same problem as yours, but maybe related.

Secondly, of course you should check what the Event viewer says about these moments, whether the problem is connected to an application or system process or could it even be a security issue.

Cheers, ripley

Thanks
    Hi Harry, I suggest you stop using sleep and screensaver, just set your power options, this is mine:-

[attachment=88999:WSL.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Harry, have you by any chance tried another keyboard? Have you tried your current keyboard on another machine?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not using fast user switching, and nothing is showing up in the event log. When the problem occurs, I have to shut the pc down, and then restart it.

I'm using a usb keyboard, and previously using a usb keyboard, would have the same problem. One thing I haven't tried is using a ps/2 board. I don't know if that would make a difference.

I currently have the screen saver to activate after 15 minutes of no activity, and do NOT have the box checked to require a password to resume. This alleviates the problem, but is less secure than requiring a password.

As I mentioned before, this is a desktop pc, not a laptop.

Thanks
    I'm wondering if this might be a USB port problem. Have you tried the keyboard in a different USB port? I would also try Gerald's suggestion of a different plugged in keyboard to see if indeed the USB keyboard is the culprit. If the plugged in keyboard works and you would like to have the USB configuration, I would suggest that perhaps a wireless desktop (keyboard and mouse combination) would be nice as you are not tied to wires running to the PC. This gives a lot more freedom. I went further and bought rechargeable AA batteries so when the batteries get low, you just pop in another set and recharge the first.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Harry, have you tried uninstalling your keyboard in 'device manager' then re booting?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, looks like I have a few things to try.

I've already tried different USB ports.

I'll try uninstalling the keyboard, then restart to see if that helps.

I'll get one of my PS/2 keyboards from another PC here at the house to try.

This may take some time, since the problem seems to be random. Most of the time, the keyboard works just fine. Only occasionally does the problem crop up, and I have not been able to determine what may have happened to cause it to act up. Everything is UPS protected, so I don't think it's related to any kind of surge or reduction of power. The PC isn't set up for a wireless connection, so that shouldn't be an issue. I haven't been able to determine any particular times or dates this may occur.

I sure appreciate all the input from everyone.