New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Excel 2007 for creating charts and graphs that is used to display scientific results. The charts will be included in a paper which will be submitted to a scientific journal. The journal want all artwork to be in eps-format, but Excel 2007 does not have the option to export charts in an easy way in the required quality. After many hours of Googling and reading I came across a solution that is a little cumbersome but which does the job.

The solution that I came across was to do the following:

1) Choose the chart and print the chart to a pdf-file (choose settings for high resolution for images in the printer options).
    2) Import the pdf-file to a vector drawing program (I use Inkscape).
    3) From within Inkscape use the "save as" option and choose the image format eps.

If other formats are needed then choose export from the file menu in Inkscape, Here you will be able to produce a high resolution png file by choosing e.g. 600 dpi.

I am using WinXP (SP3) with Inkscape 0.46 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional.

If Adobe Professional is not available then use PDFill Printer or Bullzip PDF Printer which are both free programs.

I would like a discussion on how to accomplish chart export from Excel 2007 for people (my colleagues) that is highly educated but which is not very keen in doing complicated VBA scripting or other geeky solutions (no offense). Furthermore, the output file must have high resolution. Personally I found the above method to produce images with high resolution although the procedure is a little cumbersome. I suppose that my colleagues will be able to learn the described procedure if a detailed manual with screen shots are supplied and if the relevant software are installed for them.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you tried using a screen capture program? Might be less convoluted than all those steps!
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Have you tried using a screen capture program? Might be less convoluted than all those steps!
    I believe that the output quality of the image obtained by doing a screen capture is depending on the resolution of the monitor. A lower screen resolution result in a lower image resolution. Also this method ads the challenge of post processing the chart by having to manually crop the image using Irfanview or Gimp. Personally I find it a bit difficult to crop an image to identical dimensions every time. I am probably a bit of a perfectionist but I need all my charts to be exactly the same size in my paper. This criterion are not easily met by having to manually crop the images.

Thanks for the reply though

/Philip

Thanks
    Have you played around with copying the chart as a picture?
    If you use the Paste button, you find the option of As Picture, Copy as Picture
    then choose As shown when printed
    When I played around with this, I was able to bump the dpi up to 300 from 105.
    It seems to depend on the quality of the printer you are using.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Catharine Richardson - WebGenii View Post
    Have you played around with copying the chart as a picture?
    If you use the Paste button, you find the option of As Picture, Copy as Picture
    then choose As shown when printed
    When I played around with this, I was able to bump the dpi up to 300 from 105.
    It seems to depend on the quality of the printer you are using.
    Dear Catharine,
    Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the method of copying the chart using the paste (...) option in Excel, followed by pasting into IrfanView as well as copying directly from Excel and pasting into IrfanView. The two results are slightly different but I find the direct copy and paste version to be the best of the two. The third method described, as also proposed in the beginning of the post, gives far better resolution. Further, the resolution can be set as high as desired by the user and the user has the option to save the chart in the eps format with fonts embedded which was the initial requirement.
    Strangely enough I was not able to paste the chart into Gimp when using the "Copy as picture" mode, but had no problems pasting into IrfanView using the same mode.

See below for examples of the results from employing the different methods:

Sample 01: Select chart -> CTRL C -> Paste into IrfanView
    Sample 02: Select chart -> Paste -> As picture -> Copy as picture -> As shown when printed -> Paste into IrfanView
    Sample 03: Select chart -> Print to pdf -> Import pdf into Inkscape -> Export to png (dpi=600)
    Sample 04: Select chart -> CTRL C -> Paste into Gimp

System:
    XP Professional SP3, Excel 2007 SP2, IrfanView v.4.25, Gimp v.2.6.7, Inkscape v.0.46, Adobe Acrobat Professional v.8.2.2

/Philip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Using method 3
    Once the chart is in Adobe Acrobat, try File, Export, Image, PNG

Frustratingly today I'm at a different machine and can't seem to find an app that will let me examine the dpi of the resulting png.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharine Richardson - WebGenii View Post
    Using method 3
    Once the chart is in Adobe Acrobat, try File, Export, Image, PNG

Frustratingly today I'm at a different machine and can't seem to find an app that will let me examine the dpi of the resulting png.
    I have tried that and the resulting image is in high resolution (1200x1200 dpi) which is good of course. Unfortunately Adobe decides to export the file as a whole page and not just the image. This means that there is a white border around the image that has the format of an A4 sheet. Then I still need to do some cropping.

/Philip

New Lounger
    Thanks

Easy

Dear Anton

Use xt toolbox ... top software ... freeware
    http://xltoolbox.sourceforge.net/
    Email me if you have any problems withit ... let me know how you go.

batt

Thanks

Export it as a bitmap

Using the attached worksheet, click the "Copy Chart" button and a BMP of the chart will be created. Change the name of the chart (Chart1) and the destination path to suit your needs. Maybe this will get you started

HTH,
    Maud

Code:
    Sub ChartToBMP()
    Dim Chrt As Chart
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Copy
    Set Chrt = Charts.Add
    Chrt.Paste
    Chrt.Export Filename:="C:\Users\Maudibe\Desktop\MyChart.BMP", Filtername:="BMP"
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    ActiveSheet.Delete
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2013-04-15 at 06:25.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Maudibe;900872]Using the attached worksheet, click the "Copy Chart" button and a BMP of the chart will be created. Change the name of the chart (Chart1) and the destination path to suit your needs. Maybe this will get you started

HTH,
    Maud

Looks like someone's come in and resurrected a 3-year-old thread here

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Jeremy
    I really do not want to get much involved ... if you use the freeware I have reccommended it probable takes less than 10 seconds ... set dpi and type of image file ... done.
    Batt

Thanks
    Looks like someone's come in and resurrected a 3-year-old thread here
    Didn't even look at the dates. It just showed up at the top of my forum list so I responded. It was the batt man!
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2013-04-15 at 21:42.