5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently got a new computer with Win7 and am stuck without a good backup software. For several years now, I ran WinXP with Norton Ghost 9 and it was great. I could periodically backup a complete image that could (and on one occasion was) be used to completely re-image the drive while still being used to recover individual files. I think it was the best backup program I ever had and I've been doing this for nearly 30 years.

When I decided to move to Win7, I got an updated version of Ghost and found out that the software gremlins (aka engineers) had been busy and decided that what I needed was something that was almost completely but not entirely unlike Ghost 9. When and why this happened, I don't know, but I uninstalled it faster than I installed it and tossed into the trash. Now I'm stuck.

I WANT MY NORTON GHOST 9 BACK!!! <sorry>

Does anyone know of a program that will do the same? I don't do automatic backups. I don't do incremental backups. I want to periodically backup the drive just the same way I did with Ghost 9 so that I can either recover individual files or the whole image.

FWIW, my computer is a Dell and came with the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager, but it looks to be about the same as the new version of Ghost.

PS, I'm not a Luddite, I'm just used to doing things a particular way because they work very well for me and have for many years.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Here are three that are mentioned often by other Loungers:
    Thanks Joe.

One of the most frustrating things is trying to figure out just what a program can and cannot do. For example, Macrium can do image and file backup, but you don't seem to be able to restore individual files from an image (pity) - which I only found after going thru the on-line manual.

After digging thru their online manuals, it appears that both Shadow and Acronis can restore files from an image. It may be premature, but it looks as if Acronis has more features but ShadowProtect is the more sophisticated program. That's enough to lean me towards Shadow since I've found that the majority of bells and whistles most programs tout are of no interest to me.

Now, I've got some research to do to see if Shadow is worth the price difference and how often I'm going to have to pay for the same program.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I also use and recommend Acronis. I also have the plus pack in case I have to image to a new HD because of HD failure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I also use and recommend Acronis. I also have the plus pack in case I have to image to a new HD because of HD failure.
    Ditto for me. I backup each computer on my network at 3 AM every Sunday using Acronis. I used Acronis today to restore a backup from 04/26/2010 for a computer that was misbehaving.

One caveat though - the Plus Pack seems a bit techy. The person who recommended Acronis to me MANY years ago purchased the Plus Pack. He was NOT able to get it to work properly when he recently purchased a new computer. He gave up after a week.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, Sir, hello.

Your note : I also use and recommend Acronis. I also have the plus pack in case I have to image to a new HD because of HD failure.

I go along with this other poster vis-à-vis Plus. I could never get any joy from it. I am a sole clone user on TI. It copies a full image, bit for bit. Also, any file is accessible, one at the time. What more one would need. I use a BRM, Bootable Recovey Media and all is well and fast.

YMMV ! Be good. JP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After looking at a number of options, I decided to just take a closer look at Win7 backup and was pleasantly surprised to find that it could do what I wanted. You can do an image backup and the image can easily be mounted as a virtual drive to recover files. And if you make a recovery boot disk, you can use the image to restore the entire drive. Makes me wonder if the commercial software I've been looking at just uses the Win7 backup engine to do it's work for it.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware