Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that Microsoft has placed Word, Excel, PP & One Note into SkyDrive for generating files, does that mean that I can safely uninstall my Office 2007 products ? I understand that the cloud programs are the "lite" versions but for my one-man homeoffice use, I think the cloud programs will be enough? I'm pretty sure that my computer will be totally "shocked" when I pull out that big glob of mass...may have to do a re-format? I guess I have an idea of the consequences but am asking for your thoughts, since I have "enough knowledge to be dangerous" I could overlook something and mess it up? Thanks for your thoughts!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You should not have to reformat should you decide to uninstall Office 2007. I'd be very cautious about doing that. I recommend you thoroughly investigate the capabilities of the web apps first. If you use Outlook you'll lose a lot by getting rid of it.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I now know the answer for sure. I started playing around with Office web apps and discovered that there is no way to "Open" or Import in these lite apps. Therefore, the files have to be in SkyDrive in order to wake up the application. A file in Skydrive is clicked on and the app comes alive with the file...or when you click on the app icon, the first thing you get is the request for a file name. So you can see the intent here. I still could uninstall my Office software and use cloud computing but I have to move the files to SkyDrive in order to open them. That means that I should go through all my files and make sure I have no wasted ones, which equals more time than Im ready to give up. So, the flexibility in cloud computing remains to be seen but still not bad for a start. "Don't burn your bridges to hastily!

Thanks
    Here is another reason not to. You only get 25Gb of storage, and you cannot batch drag and drop files into SkyDrive. There is a program to do that though and that is a program SDExplorer that really works well. I use the free version but am thinking about upgrading to the Pro Version.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)