3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I loaded Office XP on my new HDD I did what I usually do. This time though I ended up without FILE, SEND NOW and FILE, MAIL RECIPIENT listed on my FILE drop down menu. The command FILE, SEND FOR REVIEW was also not there.

I added all three from the CUSTOMIZE window and I thought that would be the end of the issue. Not so.

The command FILE, SEND FOR REVIEW is active and brings up an email window as it should.

Note: I take this to mean there is not a problem with my underlying Windows settings as this works here and other programs I have on my PC (such as AutoCAD and Paint Shop) have SEND buttons that work just fine.

The SEND NOW and MAIL RECIPIENT commands are grayed out in Word and Excel though. I do not have any other Office programs installed.

Since SEND FOR REVIEW works I have to think I have some sort of glitch in the system or I have missed something I need to set up. Again I don't think it is a Windows XP Home issue since the SEND feature works in other programs.

Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks,
    BH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    In your win.ini file (you can open it using Start-Run, type win.ini and press enter), there should be a section titled [Mail] that looks like this:

[Mail]
    CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
    CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
    CMC=1
    MAPI=1
    MAPIX=1
    MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
    OLEMessaging=1

is it there in yours?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rory,

You're a GENIUS !! That was the problem. [MAIL] was listed but nothing was listed below it.

Do you think this solution will also work on my laptop that has Vista installed?

I had found a suggestion that if I changed my default email program from Thunderbird to Outlook that would also solve the problem............and it did. But I don't use Outlook so it wasn't really a solution.

I'm guessing that somewhere along the way an Office XP update changed the way this command worked because I was fine on my oldd HDD where I may not have done any Office XP updates, but on the new HDD I did all of them with the new install. I was ready to uninstall Office XP and reinstall without the updates. You have saved me that trouble.

I will be printing this out for future reference. I've searched high and low on the web. This is an old and fairly common problem. Your suggestion to check the win.ini file is the first time I've seen that solution.

Thanks again !!!!
    BH

Thanks
    I'd think it would work on Vista (can't say for sure as I wouldn't install it on any of my computers!)
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rory,

You are so right about Vista. I've always hand selected components for my desktop and even laptop computers. This last one though I thought I'd try a preconfigured Sony Vaio. What a mistake. Vista is absolutely awful IMHO. Just last night I let it auto update and then (for the 2nd or 3rd time in a year) it wouldn't boot. I will say that after an hour of self repair it did eventually unload the update and start.........but what a pain. I've now permanently turned of Windows Update. It's a evening sit in front of the TV use sort of machine so there isn't anything critical on it anyway. My Norton 360 stays up to date so I think I'll be adequately protected. And........as you see above........I don't use Outlook.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.
    BH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes..........solves the problem in Vista as well.
    Thanks again,
    BH