New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I would like to stop only certain scripts from running in Firefox. The ones that bug me the most are the ones that pop up little boxes or ads when the mouse moves over an underlined word. I don't know hat they are called, but I am sure there is a specific name. Some websites have so many it is hard to navigate and read what I want to read.

Recently, I installed NoScript and basically turned off all scripts and then turned on the ones on specific web pages. While i know this is the safest, it is rather inconvenient.

Is there a way of turning off only certain scripts - particularly those annoying little boxes?

Thanks
    john

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Rice View Post
    I would like to stop only certain scripts from running in Firefox. The ones that bug me the most are the ones that pop up little boxes or ads when the mouse moves over an underlined word.
    Let's say hypothetically that the script which generates the popups is hosted on baddomain.com. You might be able to reverse the behavior of NoScript so that it is generally trusting but baddomain.com is blocked. If not, you could create a fictitious entry in your hosts file to redirect requests for files on baddomain.com to somewhere else. Or your security software might have a similar feature to block that domain.

If the script is hosted on the site you want to use, then domain-based blocking is not an option. You might be able to use the GreaseMonkey extension to "undo" the results of the script, but that could require custom programming if no one has posted a solution for it already. (See http://userscripts.org/ to search for existing GreaseMonkey scripts.)