New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I'm tired of beating my head against the wall on this one. Here's the scoop. Several weeks ago, I tried updating my version of iTunes. I prefer the clean method, so I downloaded the installer program (64 bit for my Win 7 system) and then removed iTunes from the Control Panel. This has always been my process and there has never been a problem. When I went to install, I get the following message:

unknown\components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE 8\5C13C3F8A3C98AA4E8AF179 2A0A75D33
    Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I have only one account on my system and I have full access/control of the system with my account. I'm not sure why I keep getting this.

So, I right click on the installer file and select "run as administrator". No go. I get the same message.

Checking the Apple site, and Google, I decide to remove all Apple products and try again. Same results. I tried it all over again and tried installing just QuickTime. Same results. I tried installing just iTunes, same results. I checked Add/Remove again and removed all Apple products. I cleaned out the Temp folder and ran Windows Install Cleanup, 3 times just to make sure. Still I get the same results. For some reason, iTunes does not want back on my system. The previous version worked fine and I've never had problem doing this before. I even tried using the Apple Software Update program and it wouldn't install that way either.

There is no Apple software that I can install without getting the error message. I tried searching for some type of uninstaller that would remove all traces of Apple, but I found nothing. I can I remove all traces of Apple products so that I can try installing things again? Or, is there another way to go about this? I just want to get the software back on my system so that my wife can use her iTunes again.

Any thoughts/suggestions? It can't be this tough to install software. Thanks in advance!

Mike

Thanks
    You say you removed itunes from Control Panel. I assume this means uninstalled. Quite often the Windows Uninstaller (as well as the apps own uninstaller) leave many orphaned items behind. You should try a good uninstaller such as Revo uninstaller. This does the first step using the Windows uninstaller, then goes after the orphaned components and files. Use the advanced mode. After uninstalling with Revo, I would use CCleaner to further clean up left behind stuff. Once you have cleaned up things a little better see if the install will work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If the original version of Itunes was installed using a different Windows userid, try the update with that user. If that doesn't work,

See: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...f-1836fe752725

Try replacing the key in the answer with trhe one in your error message.

If that doesn't work, try a system restore to a date prior to when you did the original uninstall.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Witalka,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried installing iTunes as the Admin and using my user account. I only have 1 account on my system. neither one would install it. I had also tried the suggestions from the link you provided. As you can guess, no luck.

Ted,

Yes, I uninstalled iTunes through the Control Panel. I will try your suggestions tomorrow when I have a little more time. I'll let you know how it goes.

One other thing that I forgot to mention. I have also used the Microsoft Install CleanUp with no luck. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mike

Thanks
    When uninstalling, have you followed the exact procedure (and order of removal) as outlined in this Apple support article?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

No go. Revo only found Apple Application. So, I removed it. CCleaner found numerous registry entries so I removed them also. I restarted the system and tried to install. I tried normally and then as Administrator. Both times I got the same error message as before.

Rebel,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try that with no luck.

As I am not ready for a system restore, is there any other suggestions?

Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My latest attempt to install gives me a "denied permission" error to the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\21cca8258a4ded1129f7858d558d5939\f8d 4d91c344d6f4f9c09785f90d9b37

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\3f9e7ea97a1aee54490637032025def9\e60 3eb826ad5c9f4db0bbd3a8c6cffdf

I set the permissions on the main key to allow full access to it and all subkeys, but the subkey permissions will not take and I can not get them changed. Can I safely delete these problem keys and try an install? I know the registry is a tricky thing, so I thought I better ask first.

Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a combination of a couple things and iTunes seems to work now. But not without another glitch. The link I used was this one. I'm sure I probably tried it before, but after turning my TomTom software off in MSCONFIG and downloading a new iTunes install program, iTunes installed. I'm not sure if it was the TomTom software, the registry change, or the new install (maybe iTunes finally fixed something), but it installed. The TomTom software was mentioned to me on another site.

Once installed, I tried starting and received the following error message: The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occured. (13014) Ugh, not another error. Off to Google I went and found out that my iTunes folder was marked as "read only". I removed that check mark and iTunes started with no problems. I closed iTunes and tried again, no problems starting the program. It was suggested that one of the subfolders was marked as read only, but after I checked all subfolders, it turned out to be the main iTunes folder.

So far, so good. I don't plan on updating iTunes anytime soon after this mess.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK same problem here: tried everything, then I right clicked on the iTunes setup icon with 7zip, and extracted all the files to the iTunes folder. then i opened the folder and you will see all the MSI install files. then install them one by one and wella iTunes is installed.
    Regards kezza.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile How to Install Itunes On Windows 7

All you have to do is right click on the iTunes setup icon with 7zip, and extracted all the files to the iTunes folder. then you open the folder and you will see all the MSI install files. just install them one by one and wella iTunes is installed.
    Regards Aussie Kezza.