New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everyone. I have Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows XP Pro. Here's my goal...
    Without downloading any 3rd party software, I'd like to set up on a single hard drive Win 7 Ult. and Win XP Pro.

I know how to partition my hard drive, so that's not a problem. I've tried Win XP in virtual mode on Win 7 and it works well, except for 1 program I use frequently. I contacted the software manufacturer and they won't support the software on Win 7 (yet). The program is one I use to manage my diabetes so I definately need it, but as I mentioned, it gets freaky during the installation process and goes crazy. So my only other option is to dual boot Win 7 and Win XP.

Once again I know this can be done without any 3rd party software (had some websites previously but never book marked them and cannot find them again).

So, after partitioning my hard drive, I need to know A) Which version should I install first, Win 7 or Win XP? B) After installing both operating systems, if I remember correctly, I might need to make some minor changes in the Boot menu so both operating systems appear on my screen when i first start my computer, and i need to tell my computer which system (7 or XP) should be my default system to boot into. C) Also, if I remember correctly, there is an issue when you have a dual boot configuration, Win XP deletes the restore points in Windows 7. If I recall correctly, this is just a simple registry fix which I'm not afraid to mess with, and D) I feel like I am missing something so any other tips, etc anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Since I have recently upgraded many of my programs, it's a good time for me to basically wipe out everything and get a clean start. I know it's a lot of work, but I am up to it.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Should be very easy to do if you install XP first. Point the Win 7 install to its partition subsequently during its install and it will automatically recognize the XP partition and set up a dual boot loader, no fuss no muss. Win 7 will be the default boot OS (XP will appear as Earlier version of Windows) but if you want to change things around a bit, EasyBCD is a good bootloader editor/manipulator.

Thanks
    Joe, Welcome to the Lounge.

Once you have the dual boot setup as Byron suggested (XP first in it's chosen partition, them Win 7 in it's partition, you choose which partition is for which OS) I would suggest a couple of sites to help with customization. Plus you might find the answer to you other questions. Check out How To Geek and Paul Thurrott;s Supersite and another at Seven Forums. You will find hundreds of tips at these sites. There are many others, but these sites pretty much have combined the tips from all the others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume that you already have Windows 7 on the hard drive and that you probably do not want to reinstall it. If that is the case, might I suggest getting a second disk drive? (Hmm, you never said if you have a desktop or a laptop. My suggestion will not work if you have a laptop or one of those small form factor desktops that hold only a single drive.). Unplug the Windows 7 drive, install the new drive, install XP. (Yes, I said unplug the Windows 7 drive - XP should see only the new drive so that it will not mess up anything on the Windows 7 drive.) Once the XP install is complete and you have run it once, shut down and reconnect the first drive. Go into the BIOS and make sure it boots into the Windows 7 drive. Then use EasyBCD to add the XP drive to your boot menu.

Here is another possibility if you have the Windows 7 installation media: use Disk Manager in Windows 7 to provide some free space on your drive, 10-20GB is probably plenty for what you need. Then install XP into that partition. Afterward, run the Windows 7 installation media and have it repair the Master Boot Record (MBR). Reboot, only Windows 7 will be available. Then use EasyBCD as above to add the XP partition to the boot menu. Caveat: I have not tried this so cannot guarantee that it will work. I would not attempt this unless you either have a complete backup of your hard drive and you don't mind reinstalling Windows 7 (if things go wrong).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Sun Virtual box with XP in the box might be an easier solution.
    http://www.virtualbox.org/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, Phil has a very good suggestion. There is an app I need to use at work that doesn't work in Win 7, nor does it work in XP Mode. But is works just fine in an XP VM in VMWare Server running under Win 7. So just because you app doesn't work under XP Mode, that doesn't mean it won't work under other virtualization solutions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The normal protocol with MS OSs is to install the oldest OS first followed by the next oldest etc.

However here is an alternative approach which works with XP, Vista and W7 but not earlier OSs

If you have W7 or Vista already installed and have created a partition for XP then just go ahead and install XP.
    NOTE: Your computer will no longer see W7 at this stage.

Then download and install VistaBoot Pro in XP (just Google for it) it is very easy to use.

When you start VistaBoot Pro it will find W7 and give you the opportunity to create a new bootloader which will then give you the option to boot into XP or W7 at startup

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Fred64! I am using Boot Pro 3.3 and can select which operating system to boot at startup!
    It is a great way to edit the Boot manager in W7!
    Good luck