New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have noticed that I have MANY .log files on my computer and I want to know if it is safe to do a search and delete all log files on my computer or are they necessary to the operation of the systems on my computer?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I periodically run CCleaner, one of whose functions is to delete Windows log files. I haven't had any problems...
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    Jeff, Welcome to the Lounge.

There may be some important or perhaps useful info in some of the log files. Quite often problems are written to log files. You should be able to open Log files to read the contents. If you feel that something is important you can save the info for future reference. Many of the log files are comprised of info you will never need. I also use CCleaner regularly and have had no problems, but if you think something may be of use, you can remove that area from the delete routine of CCleaner, or simply manually delete the log files you do not find useful.

As a note, CCleaner is useful for other things as well. You should check the web site for some of the particulars.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Disk Cleanup tool that comes with Windows will remove various log files, such as the installation log files that clog up the c:\windows directory.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Guys, Thanks for all the info, I already use CCleaner, I was just worried that after perusing the info included in the files that nothing depended upon them to operate. As such is not the case I now feel comfortable in deleting the ones I do not feel necessary to keep. Again, Thanks alot!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Jacobs View Post
    Guys, Thanks for all the info, I already use CCleaner, I was just worried that after perusing the info included in the files that nothing depended upon them to operate. As such is not the case I now feel comfortable in deleting the ones I do not feel necessary to keep. Again, Thanks alot!
    Most log files are just that, they log different activities on the PC. Some of these log files may contain important info, i.e. logs of failures might give important info on what happened. I do not know of any apps that are dependent on these log files to actually operate. You should be safe to delete many if not all of these files.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I periodically run CCleaner, one of whose functions is to delete Windows log files. I haven't had any problems...
    If CCleaner does not clean it, I wouldn't mess with it. Even log files which are not in use can be needed in the event of a crash, or may help a technician get your computer back up and running in such an event. Hard Drive space is not at such a premium these days as to require deletion of log files. They generally do not slow down Windows performance, except the ones which CCleaner already cleans.

Disk defragmenting will do more to improve PC performance than deleting log files.
    -- Bob Primak --