New Lounger
    Thanks
    My laptop has software (registry, IE) problems and hardware (mouse, etc.) problems. Fortunately I have about two weeks of warranty left to get my laptop repaired. Before I take it to the shop I want to eliminate Vista and replace it with Win 7 Ultimate(32) and then let the shop fix any problems. I have two external hard drives both of which can handle everything on my laptop C: drive. Because I will lose everything with a custom Win 7 install, and because I don't have the time before the warranty expires to find and individually move files to the external hard drive as mp3's, youtube vids, etc. are scattered all over my C: drive, I need to know how to get all files to the ext. HD and then how to get them back into Win 7. Is there a software product that will scan my C: drive and find all mp3's, flv's, Picasa pics, etc? If not, how do I accomplish what I want to do.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.clickfree.com/products_transformer.php

Clickfree transformer (USB dongle) is a nice product that will go through the entire PC and make a 1 for 1 file copy of all the data files it finds. There probably is a software product that does much the same, but I am unaware of it. I've never tried to restore a backup from a Clickfree-made backup to essentially a new system but since its a 1 to 1 backup, one can copy files back on manually if need be. Subsequent use of Clickfree is an excellent method of making data backups of the system with the new OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use Windows search for that. Open My Computer, and search for .mp3 in the search box in the upper-right corner. Do the same for .flv. etc.

Thanks
    When you do a custom (clean) install of Win 7 into the same partition as Vista, (do not format, just install directly into the same partition) the install creates a folder called windows.old right on the "C" drive which includes EVERYTHING from the Vista OS, all files all documents, all pics, all music, contacts, everything. At any time you can open this folder and drag the files directly to the new OS. It's great. No need to move things onto another disk. I did this with 5 seperate PC's and others have had equal success. Win 7 was built to be able to do this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not simply buy a new hard drive and replace your current drive? Also get a USB kit for the old drive (you can find them for $19 to $29) and put the old drive there. Then install Win 7 on the new drive and take it to the shop. If the shop says "Sorry, you changed OSes, it's no longer under warranty" just swap the drive back. If they don't complain, you will have all of your old files on the old drive and immediately accessible.

Thanks
    Jonathan King's suggestion for finding your media files by searching for file extentions would be the quickest and cheapest
    way of going about it. You could copy all the results to the external drive and sort through them at your leisure.
    I would re-index the drive, or drives in question so that your searches are as fruitful as possible prior to starting.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.