New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

I have two HP laptops one a dv4 (mine) and the other a dv7 (my son’s), both are running WIN7 Home Premium, purchased within the last two months. Both computers have 802-11b/g/n adapters When I connect using wireless n (802.11n) to a new Linksys WRT400n , I get a fine signal using the dv4 - signal strength = 97% with T/R of 300mps. The dv7 however is a slight disappointment, signal strength = 70% with T/R of 100mps. The measurements are taken using “netsh wlan show interfaces” from the CMD window. Both computers are placed 10’ from the router within 2 feet of each other. Both computers are using channel 1.

However, when I move the laptops up to the back bedroom, the dv4 changes - signal strength = 68% with T/R of 300mps and is still capable of connecting to the lan and internet. The dv7 is now even more disappointing - signal strength = 35% with T/R of 100mps and disconnects from the lan. I have also tried wireless g 802.11g with similar results. The Win7 network wizards do not help either.

In my opinion, the issue is with the dv7 wireless adapter. Do I need to get and RMA? What do you think? Any thoughts on where I need to go from here?

Thanks,
    Russ
    Best Regards,
    Russ

Thanks
    I would tend to agree with you. You seem to have done most of the troubleshooting already. Check with the reseller or manufacturer to see if they might have any advice. Good luck on that though because many now have their support overseas and everything takes forever. I think this PC needs to be returned for warranty work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to close the loop, the laptop in question was returned to HP. Hp agreed with the diagnosis and replaced the LCD Cover Apparently the wireless antennas are located in the cover. Laptop is now back home and wireless connectivity is now running at 100% signal strength.

Best regards,
    Russ Martinson
    Best Regards,
    Russ

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back your solution. It will benefit somebody else with the same issue.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill