Thanks
    The title say's it all.Here's the link for the full story;Adobe update
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron B. Owens View Post
    The title say's it all.Here's the link for the full story;Adobe update
    Note: the "direct link" to the update in that article is for the ActiveX version used in Internet Explorer. That's useful for all Windows users because many programs may embed IE.

For the Flash plugin used in other browsers or operating systems: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    For the Flash plugin used in other browsers or operating systems: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
    This seems install an Add-on to Firefox, which then downloads Flash (and apparently then keeps it up to date). There does not appear to be an option to download the latest Flash file for FireFox from the Adobe site.

To access the latest update for Firefox as a file, others have advised Googling 'install_flash_player_10_plugin.msi', and downloading the one at the top of the list. This is actually a 3.45MB file, so I assume this includes the 'Free McAfeeŽ Security Scan Plus' but this didn't seem to appear or run when I installed the update.

As with MS updates, I prefer to be able to control what and when I update. I also prefer downloading update files, since I have several computers to update, and this saves bandwidth (for which I must pay!).

Chris

Thanks
    Adobe does provide an Adobe Flash Uninstaller that uninstalls all Flash content from all browsers at once. Once you uninstall Flash, go to the Adobe site to download the latest Flash program. ***Warning*** Unless you want the included un-neccessary app that is included, uncheck the box to install the added S/W. ***Warning*** Once you have installed the Adobe Flash, it is actually installed on IE. When you open FF the first time it will tell you a pluin is missing and ask if you want to install it. Choose yes. That's all that is needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJakarta View Post
    There does not appear to be an option to download the latest Flash file for FireFox from the Adobe site.
    It's at the bottom of the troubleshooting page:

If you are still having problems, click here to download.
    == Edit ==

For Firefox, delete "_ax", so it's http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flas...ash_player.exe

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJakarta View Post
    To access the latest update for Firefox as a file, others have advised Googling 'install_flash_player_10_plugin.msi', and downloading the one at the top of the list. This is actually a 3.45MB file, so I assume this includes the 'Free McAfeeŽ Security Scan Plus' but this didn't seem to appear or run when I installed the update.
    "Others" may have advised that, but I trust that neither you nor I would endorse Lounge users randomly choosing executables from a Google search. That is a recipe for a malware infection.

Thanks
    Adobe had released a beta version of Flash 64 Bit for Linux only, then within a day had pulled this beta. This was at approx. the same time that this large update occured. One has to wonder if these two occurences are related.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    What I advise for Flash Player, is to remove the Active-X and Firefox Plug-in old versions first (I use Revo Uninstaller). Then go to the Google "test Flash Player" result at Adobe's site. This will tell you you need to download the latest version, and it will link you to the official download page. There you will see which version will be offered. If it is not the current latest version (which occasionally happens), I go to FileHippo's site to get the latest non-beta version.

Be advised: Adobe uses a terribly insecure "download manager" which is a really nasty piece of junkware. After downloading and installing the Flash Player you need, get rid of both the Firefox (Plug-in) and IE (ActiveX) versions of "Adobe DLM". In Firefox, you will do this through your Add-Ons manager window. The ActiveX control can be removed using Revo Uninstaller. Follow up with a CCleaner Registry and System cleanup and reboot.

Be also advised: I got into security conflicts with the Firefox Adobe DLM plug-in. The problem became so severe that my Windows drivers would not load. I had to go into Windows Safe Mode and remove both Firefox plug-ins (DLM and Player), do a Safe Mode CCleaner cleanup, and start over. The second time, things worked out OK.

One other thing about Version 10.1: This Flash Player upgrade makes driver-level changes in your computer, to enable Hardware Graphics Acceleration. There is no opt-out for this. In addition to security conflicts (like my installation issues), diver-level Windows instabilities can result. Make a full system backup, including drivers, before getting this version of Flash Player. Even a system restore may not be able to undo the damages which this version can (rarely) cause. And the damages can occur the first time a web site or video uses Hardware Graphics Acceleration, not just at the time of installation of the upgrade. So, if you let Flash Player do its thing the way it wants to (and you have no choice in most cases), happy crashing! (Most recent Windows computers will not experience crashing, but better safe -- with a backup -- than sorry. Especially if you are running older hardware.)

<BEGIN RANT>

I don't mean to sound too paranoid, but Adobe (not just with FLash Player) has a long history of messing up Windows computers, installing unwanted bloatware features, and then taking no responsibility for the Windows slowdowns or damages their products have caused. But Flash Player is so widespread on the Internet, and free alternatives (like VLC Player) are so useless at streaming sites (like Hulu.com) that we have no real alternatives at this time. Only site webmasters can improve this situation, and they have a profit motive not to allow any alternatives. (Don't get me started on the many ways Flash Player allows spying on you while you are watching streaming videos!) So for the present, we are stuck with this less-than-perfect way of presenting active web content.

And no, I do NOT side with the Steven Jobs/Apple Computer/HTML-5 camp, either. Same problems there, only worse.

<END RANT>

And (as was posted earlier) do remember to uncheck the McAfee VirusScan toolbar when upgrading Flash Player. Unless you like browser clutter, that is.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Thanks again Bob, Adobe does not seem to give the option of NOT using their DLM either. Most of us with high speed connections do not need to use any sort of download manager for these simple downloads. It also irritates me to no end when S/W manufacturers bundle assorted unwanted apps, toolbars, etc with their S/W. And some of these unwanted apps are difficult to spot unless you read every button and option before clicking. Just shows how important it is to know what you are clicking on before doing so, just like the fraud security warnings.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Thanks again Bob, Adobe does not seem to give the option of NOT using their DLM either. Most of us with high speed connections do not need to use any sort of download manager for these simple downloads. It also irritates me to no end when S/W manufacturers bundle assorted unwanted apps, toolbars, etc with their S/W. And some of these unwanted apps are difficult to spot unless you read every button and option before clicking. Just shows how important it is to know what you are clicking on before doing so, just like the fraud security warnings.
    The reason for the Download Manager is (from Adobe's point of view) a matter of control. Since the DLM is proprietary, no other site can host downloads of Flash Player which will install and work like the genuine article. Also, the toolbars, download managers, auto-updaters, etc. bring in advertising revenues from Adobe's commercial partners. In general, whenever you see something offered for free, but there are riders like these, just follow the money and you will get the answers to most of your questions.

As I say, if I could get a clean flash player which would work with the modified players at the streaming video sites, I'd drop Adobe in a flash, pun intended.
    -- Bob Primak --