Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am in need of a good security program. I have, in the past, used MacAfee Security Center on my Windows XP laptop and liked it very much. However I have not had any luck downloading this program to my new Toshiba 505-s6030 laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit). Contacting MacAfee tech support, the issue seemed to be an incompatibility with this 64 bit version of W 7. So I am now into my 3rd week of running my computer without benefit of any virus protection.

I am now contemplating the use of Microsoft Security Essentials, reviewed by CNET and seemingly a good stable program. However I did read bits and pieces of others 'troubles' where there may be a conflict if MacAfee is installed along with MSE.

I am asking here on this Lounge forum, opinions of MSE. Opinions on MacAfee and its inability to run on Windows 7 (64Bit) and if any problems have occurred by other users.

I am in NEED of a good security program.

Help is much appreciated .......
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    I've been using MSE for the last 5 or 6 months now and it fits my needs for a non intrusive and reliable
    combined antivirus and antimalware program. I am running Windows 7, 64 bit and have not encountered
    installation or compatibility/confliction issues so far. My needs in this area are simplistic and minimalistic.

Generally, only one antivirus program should be running at any one time. If you choose to install another
    antivirus program, one of them should have it's services disabled along with it's startup routine.

The bulwark of good security comes from behavior; safe browsing habbits, thinking before clicking, etc.

McAfee is or will shortly offer a number of Windows 7, 64 bit compatible programs.
    MSE could be used until which time your favorite AV program becomes available. There should be no issues uninstalling MSE.

McAfeeŽ Software & Windows 7 Operating System FAQ's
    1.Are McAfee's consumer products compatible with Windows 7?
    Yes, McAfee AntiVirus Plus, McAfee Internet Security, McAfee Total Protection and McAfee Family Protection software are compatible with Windows 7 operating system and have been certified by Microsoft.

2.Will all features in the McAfee consumer products remain the same when they become compatible with Windows 7?
    All features and functions will continue to work on Windows, except for McAfee Local Backup, which is not compatible with Windows 7. This feature is part of McAfee Internet Security and McAfee Total Protection suites.

3.What happens with the backup feature when I upgrade to Windows 7?
    When upgrading your computer to Windows 7 you will be alerted that McAfee Local Backup will no longer be supported on Windows 7. In addition you will be provided with a link to a landing page that contains instructions on how to restore existing back up files prior to upgrading to Windows 7.
    We recommend that if you currently use McAfee Local Backup, you consider using the local Backup and Restore functionality that is included in all versions of Windows 7.

4.Will my McAfee security subscription for the Windows Vista compatible version also be valid for Windows 7?
    Yes, your McAfee subscription will be valid for the entire period that you have purchased regardless of the operating system you are using.
    The McAfee Security subscription supports the following operating systems:
    Windows XP 32 bit
    Windows Vista 32 + 64 bit
    Windows 7 32 + 64 bit

5.Before upgrading to Windows 7 is there anything that I need to do?
    As part of your security subscription for McAfee VirusScan Plus, Internet Security suite or Total Protection suite, you will have automatically received the upgrade to the Windows 7 compatible version of your McAfee product. With this upgrade applied you will not be required to do anything prior to upgrading to Windows 7.

In case your McAfee product has not been upgraded to the latest, Windows 7 compatible version, you will be required to first upgrade to the latest version prior to upgrading to Windows 7. See also next FAQ

For McAfee Family Protection, you need to click on the alert that will appear and say "An update to McAfee Family Protection is now available..." and download the version update. This will update your product so it is Windows 7 compatible.

6.What is the upgrade path for McAfee's products from Windows XP to Windows 7?
    When you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will need to re-install all your software products which are not from Microsoft.

This is a restriction from the operating system and it affects the McAfee AntiVirus Plus, McAfee Internet Security, McAfee Total Protection and McAfee Family Protection software.

As soon as you have completed your upgrade to Windows 7 you can re-install your McAfee product by visiting the McAfee website. Simply log in to the My Account area, where the latest versions of your products with an active subscription are available for installation.

7.What is the upgrade path for McAfee's products from Windows Vista to Windows 7?
    When you upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 there are several scenarios that you can encounter.

1.When your McAfee product is up to date upgrading to Windows 7 will happen without any problems to your McAfee product. You will continue to be protected.
    2.When a McAfee product hasn't been upgraded to the latest version and an upgrade to Windows 7 is initiated the Microsoft product will block the upgrade process. You will be asked to visit the McAfee website in order to download and install the Windows 7 compatible version of your McAfee product. After you have successfully installed the latest version of your McAfee software, you can continue upgrading your operating system.
    3.When a McAfee product is newly installed on a computer with Windows 7 then the McAfee security product will automatically download the latest version from the internet during the installation process. An internet connection is required.
    4.When an older version of a McAfee product is being installed on a computer with Windows 7 the Microsoft product will block the upgrade process. You will be asked to visit the McAfee website in order to download and install the Windows 7 compatible version of your McAfee product. After you have successfully installed the latest of your McAfee product, you can continue upgrading your operating system.
    Please note:
    When you are upgrading from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit you will need to re-install your McAfee product.

You can re-install your McAfee product by visiting the McAfee website. Simply log in to the My Account area, where the latest versions of your products with an active subscription are available for installation.

8.Will McAfee's products support multi-touch in Windows 7?
    No, multi-touch technology will not be supported at the time Windows 7 releases; however the PC will be protected by the McAfee product

9.Will the product work with Windows 7 high DPI?
    Yes, McAfee AntiVirus Plus, McAfee Internet Security and McAfee Total Protection software will work with Windows 7 high DPI.

10.Will there be a dedicated page on McAfee's consumer website with Windows 7 FAQs?
    Yes, information on McAfee's security products and Windows 7 compatibility will become available on the McAfee consumer site when Windows 7 has been commercially released.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Clint. By far, the best security is offered by safe browsing habits and common sense in downloading files. etc.

MSE is my primary and only AV on my machine, but as a BSOD analyst, I see the other side of things. I have seen countless BSODs caused by AVG, McAfee, Norton, Avira, ZoneAlarm, and even old versions of ESET. MSE is our "fail safe" AV, being from Microsoft, they tend to know how their system works and thus it will never cause a BSOD.

It is also true to never run multiple AVs at once. The exception is Avast.. The developers worked with MS. so you can safely run Avast alongside MSE. I also have heard numerous reports of running Malwarebytes alongside MSE, but I'm not sure if I can officially recommend it at this point.

Thanks
    I have to agree. I have been using MSE as long as I have been using Win 7 64 Bit (I upgraded as soon as the RTM was released on 5 different PC and all have MSE). I also agree that only 1 security program should be running in real time (In the background) at a time. I also use scanners from MalwareBytes and Spybot for weekly manual scans. One step I take that has not been mentioned yet is that any time I am going to be surfing on unknown sites I use a virtual environment from Sandboxie which keeps everything seperated from your PC. If a nasty gets through it is kept in the sandbox and can be deleted when you delete the sandbox. Voila, nasty gone. Sandboxie tends to slow browsing a little, but the extra security when visiting unknown sites is worth it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Over the past several years I have personally used the free versions of AVG, Avast, Avira, and now MSE alongside the free version of MalwareBytes without conflicts and with excellent protection. As a volunteer, have installed the same on many other computers which required "cleaning-up" after nasty infections - including the Anti-Virus scams. You will find it pays to have MalwareBytes handy when a computer becomes infected with a scam. Hope this helps in making a decision.

Thanks
    Microsoft has a good newsletter for security. This is an excerpt from the newsletter. Microsoft has a list to Manage Communications available that anyone can subscribe to.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all, gentlemen for your insights. I agree with you all in regards to being most careful in my browsing without clicking without thinking. In the many years that I have used the MacAfee Security Center I have had no incidence of virus invasion or malware.
    Now I am going try MSE and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    You may also be interested in this thread.as it also discusses many of these same issues.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MSE- my overall experience was good with this software. Scan times are ludicrous however. I use Avira now. I got the paid version for a pittance using Trialpay, but I have used the free version in the past and would recommend it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most all the A/V programs I have used in the past have taken time and computer resources. They slow the use of programs as these A/V programs supposedly run in the background. I learned to schedule the complete scan to be performed at times I would not need to use my computer as much. Is there really any A/V program that does a thorough job yet does NOT suck up resources?

I haven't 'played' with MSE too much yet so I don't know if it is the perfect A/V program but it certainly seems stable enough and Windows 7 likes it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I'm going to the "No" camp. Microsoft needs to sort their own house out before trying to break into the Security market. I have installed MSE but didn't like the product it just didn't tick the boxes for me. What makes you so sure that they don't have vulnerabilities within the MSE that they have in the OS?

Microsoft are a victim of their own goals and success. The goal of all OS and programs seamlessly integrating into each other is an honourable one, making their OS/software super easy to use from the youngest to the oldest and beginner to expert user. In doing so they have created their own weak points in the code that the unsavoury among us try to use to exploit for their own gains. How many times do we read about vulnerabilities being known about but left unpatched, having to re-release patches because last months totally unrelated patch to another part of the OS patch broke it etc etc etc?

Until I can be sure that MS, Apple or for that matter any software company e.g. Adobe are willing to put user security above all else rather than trying to save face and not admit to potential breaches/risks then I will choose my own products from a company who does nothing else but security. I'm not saying that the Symantec's, McAfee's, F-Secure's of this world don't suffer from their own code problems but MS have enough to do to fix the OS rather than generate income from their own Security Suite. I honestly believe it is nothing other than cashing in on a hugely lucrative market they weren't in.

Slightly digressing but around the comment of putting "user security above all else" is this. If MS or others are really serious about protecting their user base then they need to drop the software validation process and allow "everyone" to download the security patches for their products irrespective of whether it's cracked or not. A previous article in WS expanded on that view point of which I totally agree

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by L H View Post
    I guess I'm going to the "No" camp. Microsoft needs to sort their own house out before trying to break into the Security market. I have installed MSE but didn't like the product it just didn't tick the boxes for me. What makes you so sure that they don't have vulnerabilities within the MSE that they have in the OS?

Microsoft are a victim of their own goals and success. The goal of all OS and programs seamlessly integrating into each other is an honourable one, making their OS/software super easy to use from the youngest to the oldest and beginner to expert user. In doing so they have created their own weak points in the code that the unsavoury among us try to use to exploit for their own gains. How many times do we read about vulnerabilities being known about but left unpatched, having to re-release patches because last months totally unrelated patch to another part of the OS patch broke it etc etc etc?
    I feel that because MSE is tested by the same independent testing agencies that all other AV products are tested by the testing results are a testament of how MS is doing. MSE is ranked up with the best of the 3rd party AV products.

Until I can be sure that MS, Apple or for that matter any software company e.g. Adobe are willing to put user security above all else rather than trying to save face and not admit to potential breaches/risks then I will choose my own products from a company who does nothing else but security. I'm not saying that the Symantec's, McAfee's, F-Secure's of this world don't suffer from their own code problems but MS have enough to do to fix the OS rather than generate income from their own Security Suite. I honestly believe it is nothing other than cashing in on a hugely lucrative market they weren't in.

Since MS does not charge one penny for MSE, how are they cashing in on a hugely lucrative market? You probably haven't heard of the problems some of the 3rd party AV products have had recently. My wife works in the IT dept. of a medium sized university. They are investigating which AV product to switch to because of the serious breaches they have been having over an extended timeframe with McAfee.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Slightly digressing but around the comment of putting "user security above all else" is this. If MS or others are really serious about protecting their user base then they need to drop the software validation process and allow "everyone" to download the security patches for their products irrespective of whether it's cracked or not. A previous article in WS expanded on that view point of which I totally agree
    All code is flawed in some manner, nothing is "Perfect". That being said, who would you trust to write better code for a Microsoft Operating System, Microsoft or some third party?
    MSE is FREE from Microsoft, there is no profit for them (Yeah M/S!)
    As far as patches go.. If you stole a car, would you expect to have warranty work done on it? In the same scenario, would you expect to insure it? I think not..
    I agree to a point that unpatched machines are a cause of the spread of malware, trojans and other badware. But should M/S be liable for the discretion of the few bad apples?

I, personally have been using MSE since it's inception and have not had one problem. I own a Computer shop and install MSE on many machines, a lot of them that previously had MacAfee, Norton/Symantic, (add your bloated badly programmed Security suite here..), after a scan with MSE and MalwareBytes they were found to be infected. That Speaks volumes for the security you have to PAY for !! Aside from the hit in performance after installing that garbage..

If I were to pay for a security solution it would be ESET, as it takes up little resources and does a fantastic job. I personally used ESET all the way up to when MSE came out. If they would have made a reasonable offer to continue with their product I would have done so. All "Payed Subscription" Security suites need to realize that a free alternative - that does a better job - means that they need to take a second look at their business model. If they sell 100,000 copies of a security suite at $49.99 - that's nearly 5 MILLION Dollars - now that's a profit margin! Tell me it took more than a half million to produce and I'll eat my shorts. Distribution by CD/DVD has been nearly eliminated by the abundance of high speed networks, so there only cost is paying the programmer(s), administration, (bandwidth) and advertising. Sell me a decent product for a reasonable price and prove it's better than a FREE product and you'll have my business. Otherwise, go suck an egg!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with those who are endorsing MSSE. i have used i since the beta.... and deleted Avast because i felt it no loner necessary. I did keep and use Spybot....I run immunization at least once a week...then a scan....and the software reports no intrusions. Call me a satisifed customer of two excellent freeware programs.

Sherm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Working with virus/malware attacks daily, I deal with about every security program out there. The ability of the antivirus software in your computer is dependant on numerous factors besides the program itself, such as the computer operator, the ISP, and what's in the computer. These new rogue viruses are getting through just about all of the security programs--I have had to repair attacks on many McAfee protected systems, as well as Norton, AVG, MSE, and Computer Associates. Avira, Avast, NOD32 and Trend Micro seem to have fewer problems from my experience. Others in this Lounge have mentioned the import of browsing habits, and I agree. For example, the worst virus attacks I have had to repair were on computers running Limewire, and it didn't matter which antivirus program they were running. By contrast, a few of my customers do not download movies or music, refuse to open email forwards, and are careful about their browsing, and whether they use McAfee, Norton, or AVG they have been virus free for years. For quite some time now I have been recommending alternating between manual scans using Malwarebytes and SpyBot Search and Destroy to check on the usefulness of the installed antivirus software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast