Thread: PCI SATA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to add a second hard drive to my A7N8X-X m/b, which has no SATA facilities.

Would I get the benefits (speed mainly) from installing a SATA drive, and connecting it via a PCI->SATA card?

Or should I simply add another PATA drive?

Any advice, particularly from someone who has tried it, would be very welcome.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Given the ever decreasing cost and increasing availability of SATA drives I suggest you go the SATA route.
    There is no speed difference for an equivalent disk, but high end SATA disks will be faster than PATA - this really only relates to very high end PC or server installations, not your average home PC.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From the numbers I've seen a PCI bus is capable of 127.2 MBytes/sec nominal. I don't know how much of that capability is useable but it should be more than enough so that it is not the limiting factor unless you set up something like a RAID 0, or, a good solid state SATA drive would be limited since they are pushing and over 200 MB/s now.

On an individual drive basis, spinning magnetic SATA of PATA, doesn't matter, get whatever makes the most sense to get.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan Mitchell View Post
    I want to add a second hard drive to my A7N8X-X m/b, which has no SATA facilities.

Would I get the benefits (speed mainly) from installing a SATA drive, and connecting it via a PCI->SATA card?

Or should I simply add another PATA drive?

Any advice, particularly from someone who has tried it, would be very welcome.
    Vaughan,
    Hello, one more thing to consider.... is your OS. I have and use two PCI SATA cards one from "Vantec" 6port SATA 2 150 and the other a "PromiseSATA300 TX2" for now both have issues with my Windows "7" \ 64 and Windows "7" \ 32", Won't see both of my CD DVDRW drives. However both work to some degree and i will try to sort out the "bugs". Last time i tried this though i totally trashed my entire OS..(.my own fault) So make sure whatever "card you choose that you contact the manufacture first ... to be sure it works with your "OS". Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Hello Vaughan
    In agreement with Fred J Usack,
    I also used the Promise SATA 300 TX2 Plus PCI to SATA plug- in Card!
    It worked fine for me. It comes with a CD to load the drivers and an extra SATA cable!
    I connected both an SATA drive and ATA 133 drive to the board and all worked fine!

Good luck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Could cost more to post than to buy new?!?

cheers, Paul