New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 Pro, 32 bit, on a laptop.

There I was in the middle of a meeting, doing nothing in particular on the laptop, and suddenly the cursor changes to the rotating circle and the disk is working hard, couldn't see anything running that I could stop so finally I had to hit the power button.

Now I have a "read only" "mounted volume" on C: called "A" which appears to be a backup of C: (including an empty directory called "A").

My first problem is that I need to delete this volume, preferably securely, but I've tried every way I can think of and can't figure out how to remove the read only flag so all my attempts at deletion have failed.

The second problem is to stop this happening again. I do recall getting a message some time ago something like "the scheduled backup could not be executed" but I checked then, and again now, and the windows back up is not scheduled and I have no other backup software installed.

Appreciate any help...

Thanks
    Have you tried to Take Ownership of the offending drive to allow you to change permissions of this drive? Have you checked in Disk Manager to see if this "A" drive is shown and can be manipulated? (Search Disk Manager) I would also do a complete virus and malware scan on the PC. Do you have a rstore point before the time this started? Might be worth a system restore. Have you imaged the PC?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted: Thanks for replying. I should have mentioned it, malware etc. was my first concern but it's clean with the installed ESET Smart Security and also Malwarebytes.

I installed/ran Take Ownership (useful utlity, thanks) but it doesn't help, still getting a "media is write protected" error when trying to change the settings.

It doesn't show in Device Manager, Disk Drives if that's what you are referring to as Disk Manager.

I don't like/use system restore, but I do have backup copies of the important stuff. If there's no other way to fix it I'll use lenovo's restore to bomb it back to the stone age but I'm hoping there's a better solution.

Thanks
    I think Ted is referring to Disk Management. You can find it by clicking Start and typing in Computer Management , pressing Enter, and clicking on Disk Management under Storage .
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Been there, it doesn't show up separately, it's not a drive, it's a volume. It also doesn't show using diskpart.exe, even as a volume, and chkdsk doesn't show any errors.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    I think Ted is referring to Disk Management. You can find it by clicking Start and typing in Computer Management , pressing Enter, and clicking on Disk Management under Storage .
    You can just type Disk Management as well to go directly to the Disk Manager. Once all is figured out, you may want to consider a periodic Disk Image (I try to image at least once per month) This allows a system restore directly to the time the image was creayed, including the entire partition. This type senario is one of those times when disk images are at their finest. This way you do not have to start in the "Stone Age" , but from the time just a month or so ago.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right of course, that brings up "create and format hard disk partitions" which I was reluctant to click on since I'm already in enough trouble but which I see does indeed go to Disk Manager.

How long does it take to create the image and where do you create it? I tend to refresh my laptops every few months, I don't use them as the sole source for critical data, and whenever I do refresh there's always a bunch of "it seemed a good idea at the time" stuff that I don't re-install. But you have a good point, it would be smarter to image a fresh and "tuned" install with MS Office and some other essentials and refresh to that.

Thanks
    I have about 25 GB of stuff on my laptop. It takes between 30 and 45 minutes to image. I image to an ext hard drive, although I could just as easily image to DVDs or to a seperate partition on my PC. For the time it takes, I feel as though this is good insurance for me. That's why I reimage about once per month so I only loose about a month's worth of stuff if I crash.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can your imaging program correctly handle a disk with a recovery partition, like Lenovo/IBM? Now I recall that was a problem last time I looked at imaging.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Now it says it's a RAM Disk, something is very messed up here...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferdude View Post
    Can your imaging program correctly handle a disk with a recovery partition, like Lenovo/IBM? Now I recall that was a problem last time I looked at imaging.
    You can choose which partition you want to Image. You would not need to image the recovery partition. You would image the partition with your OS. If you have a different partition with just data, this is better to back up by just copying the files to a back up site rather than using an imaging app. I would use either Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect for your imaging needs. I personally use Acronis and image to an external hard drive. I have a dual boot with Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and Linux Mint Isadora. The Win 7 is imaged with Acronis. The Linux is imaged with Clonezilla (not as user friendly, this is why I did not provide a link. Does work with Linux)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The original mystery is solved! It's a volume shadow copy created by Win7 System Restore. The only remaining mystery is why it was created on a machine not set up to use System Restore.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferdude View Post
    The original mystery is solved! It's a volume shadow copy created by Win7 System Restore. The only remaining mystery is why it was created on a machine not set up to use System Restore.
    If you have System Protection configured to "Only restore previous versions of files" then VSS will run.See Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions for details.

Joe
    Joe