1. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In MS Word 2007 I use a large number of equations and I want to number them and to be able to cross reference them. Word's insert caption does not allow for the standard position of the number at the far end of the same line where the equation itself is.

One way of doing this is to create a 3 column table with the equation itself in the middle column and to drag the caption to the right column and right align it.

My question concerns the caption lable itself. I want it to display as "Eq.(#)", where # is a sequential number. The "Eq.(" part is standard, but how to get the right ")" automatically part of the caption label, i.e. how to adjust the field code?

Regards, Teunis

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Teunis,

You should be able to get the alignment you want by using a right-aligned tab stop for the paragraph holding the equation, combined with a tab between the equation and the caption. Since captions use the Caption Style, you could modify that Style to include the right-aligned tab stop.

As for the parentheses, after inserting the equation (for which you define the label as 'Eq.'), select the caption # and press Shift-F9 to expose the field code. You should see something like:
    { SEQ Eq. \* ARABIC }
    Change this to:
    { SEQ Eq. \# "(#)" }
    That will enclose the equation # with parentheses and these will carry over into your cross-references.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

I figured out it must be something like that, but couldn't get it to work. Your solution works fine. Thanks.

Regards, Teunis