5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before I do something "dumb", I thought I should ask:
    Can I install a fresh copy of W7 on a 2nd drive without fouling anything up?

I have 2 drives: one a C:\ drive where W7 boots from now; and a 2nd drive with 2 partitions (F:\ and G:\ )
    All my data, including special folders (My Documents etc) are on G:\

My thought was to have a 2nd Windows installed on F:\ to be able to boot from "just in case."

I have W7 Home Premium, EasyBCD, and Acronis True Image Home 2010.

Good idea? Bad idea? If do-able, any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance,
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, that will be no problem. Just install it with the other drive attached.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It just occured to me: can you have 2 instances of the same W7 OS with one product key, on one machine - even though on 2 separate drives?

Dick Y

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can, although it's technically illegal. The EULA clearly states one installation per product key.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    It just occured to me: can you have 2 instances of the same W7 OS with one product key, on one machine - even though on 2 separate drives?

Dick Y
    Because of the questionable legality of this, it's not something I would recommend. If you had 2 different product keys, even with the same versions of Win 7 this would be easy to accomplish, but with 1 key?????

If all you need is something to fall back on in the case of disaster, that is what Disk Images are designed for. Make an image of the Win 7 partition that can be used to reload you OS in this eventuality. The image can be on another partition, removable media, or an Ext HD (This is the option I use). I would consider a 3rd party image S/W such as Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect. The Win 7 backup has had some success, but I believe it is somewhat limited.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jonathan and Ted. Once I got the answer this morning about it's being illegal, of course I opted not to do that. I already have Acronis images on a separate drive and on a removable hd. I like to "tinker" around, so that was why I thought of doing it in the first place.

Since that idea went poof, I've spent some time today learning how to turn applications into portable apps for my thumb drive.

Dick Y

Thanks
    A very productive day then. With your images you should be well protected if disaster strikes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    I already have Acronis images on a separate drive and on a removable hd. I like to "tinker" around, so that was why I thought of doing it in the first place.

Dick Y
    Dick-Y
    Hello, maybe one more thing..... seeing that you have mentioned you have "Acronis" You might consider "Cloning" the "OS" so you would end up "kinda" with what you wanted in the first place (and legal)....... I do that to my "Data" drive that contain my Acronis backups as well as things that i consider important(too large to image and would be Imaging Images).This way if things went "south" HD wise you could swap back in a moment... (or two) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred:

Thanks. That's a great idea; and I'm going to do that.

Best,
    Dick Y

Thanks
    So, all this suggests one could do trial installations to "dual boot" with windows 7 32 bit and windows 7 64 bit to see which operates without hassles and then activate the one that works best and uninstall the other OS?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Without actually reading the EULA (I'm like most have not done so) I'm not positive this is permitted. I am under the impression you can install one or the other, but not both at the same time, even eithout activating one. You are correct though that both cannot be installed and activated at the same time. I for one though would installed the 64 Bit on a machine capable of 64 Bit. I have had great success with 3 PCs with 64 Bit installed with no problems. Even for those apps that do not do well with 64 Bit yet, 32 Bit seems to work fine (IE and FF are 2 examples because 64 Bit flash is not available yet) Be advised that 64 Bit hardware (printers, etc) do require 64 Bit drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
    a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
    b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
    c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
    d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.
    You can't get much more clear than that.

Thanks
    Option D does indeed spell it out. You can not load both 32 Bit and 64 Bit at the same time to try them both to see which you want to keep. Good find Jonathan.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted and Jonathan: Thanks (sorry that YOU had to read the EULA for me!!) I still think it would be "reasonable" to load both 32 and 64 bit versions on the same 64 bit-capable PC to determine whether or not serious glitches would occur with any of your older software/hardware before committing to actually activating the chosen version (after all, MS does allow an implied trial period before activation must be performed. Nevertheless, I shall respect the "law". Thanks once again.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Hi Peter,

If you are concerned with compatibility with your current hardware and software, download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. Be sure to plug all your USB hardware in before running the software. It should give you feedback as to whether you can run either 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 without serious issues.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill